Need special effect for invisibility

Fibrostic

Think the hobbit and the ring. I need an effect that can be on a single person, while stage lights are on (though it is a dim show) that will show up and give the audience a feeling that something changed. I was thinking of turning a source4 jr into a spot, and trying to find a motorized gobo for it, gel it blue. Something to that affect, any ideas for me?

That could work fine if the other actors who are supposed to be visible are in a second spotlight thruout--so the lighting 'change' only occurs to that one actor. When your actor and anyother primary is visable on stage they are in a regular open spots--but roll the spot into a background or contrast color when the selected actor is 'invisible'.. You could do a gobo rotation on the actor for differentiation, but you would have to pop it in and out etc and follow...which may end up being more of a PITA or basic distraction then you may want it to be.

So moreso its easier if the rest of the stage is dark or dim--highlighting only the actors you want to not be invisible with spots...which can then change color when they are supposed to be invisible... Its theater..imagination is normal for the shows...

-w

I just did this show this summer. We used a saturated blue in two followspots to highlight him while he had the ring on. They used reflective tape on his sword, so it looked like it was glowing while they were on.

I like the idea of UV light because the human eye isnt use to that spectrum. However since that might be hard to come by I think the spot idea is good as well.

I was thinking of turning a source4 jr into a spot, and trying to find a motorized gobo for it, gel it blue. Something to that affect, any ideas for me?

This is a good idea, and can be pulled off without great expense. Whether you choose to rotate a breakup pattern of some type or perhaps a semi-focused Crushed Dichroic on Frodo is your call (maybe both at the same time). Rotators for S4Jrs are available from many lighting rental shops. If you can't find one, please let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right folks!

I like the idea of UV light because the human eye isnt use to that spectrum. However since that might be hard to come by I think the spot idea is good as well.

Wildfire makes a great line of UV paint and instruments. Any theatrical supply house or distributor should be able to help you out.

For our invisibility gag I took what I considered an off palette color (Skelton Exotic Sangria) as the Spot Punch Color. Adding in the rotator is a great idea too. I used our Lycian SuperArc 400 Followspot with no rotater and it worked.

Do an eBay search for Sting sword. Master Replicas makes one that actually lights up. We used it as a principal light source to illuminate Bilbo. You should be able to get if for cheap.

I recently just lit a show using an american DJ UV cannon for a black light effect. It will be a good idea to try and find a similar unit. It worked well for me and we even used laundry detergent and paint sealer as a cheaper alternative to theatrical black light paint.

My school is doing The Hobbit in April 2010 and I'm not sure about what we are doing for the invisibitiy effect but I would suggest a color like R66 in followspot or in a ERS with a glass gobo rotating.

I kind of like the idea of renting an extra bright followspot with an HMI source. That way you get a color temperature shift from the rest of your instruments. Possibly putting a pale green gel in. Something that just slightly alters the color from the rest of the stage. I fear your S4JR won't have the punch to stand out against the rest of the wash.

You may want to research an old time trick called "Pepper's Ghost". It takes a lot of planning and finesse but can be cheap and effective if done well.

You may want to research an old time trick called "Pepper's Ghost". It takes a lot of planning and finesse but can be cheap and effective if done well.
Disney's Haunted Mansion is a good example. The ballroom where the ghosts dance is still amazing after all these years. It's a very simple effect, but not so simple to execute...

Pepper's ghost would only be possible if the actor was confined to a small portion of the stage and then you have issues with sight lines, lighting, having large enough glass, and hiding the glass. It's an easy thing to do but it creates LOTS of other problems.

What exactly is this pepper's ghost thing? I am suddenly interested.

I don't think this would work in this show. Bilbo puts on the ring while on stage, which would make the Pepper's Ghost effect really hard to do.

Maybe I'm not remembering this trick right, but doesn't the actor have to be offstage?

My suggestion would be to look at the clear invisible Fluorescent paints

Modern Masters® Introduces Wildfire® Invisible Clear Colors | Briefingroom on LiveDesignOnline

This way if you turn on the UV you can see a dramatic shift

This is uses a lot in what I think you are trying to achieve where one scene can turn into another by just adding uv. You can set up the scenery and paint over it with the clear high lights you want to add, and on the costume also

This would work better than the white version where what you have painted would be visible as white, and then turn a
different color

There is another company that makes the invisible clear but I have never used it

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-invisible-uv-paint

Sharyn

What exactly is this pepper's ghost thing? I am suddenly interested.

proxy.php

Maybe I'm not remembering this trick right, but doesn't the actor have to be offstage?

You are correct. ;)

Last edited:
My suggestion would be to look at the clear invisible Fluorescent paints

This way if you turn on the UV you can see a dramatic shift

This is uses a lot in what I think you are trying to achieve where one scene can turn into another by just adding uv. You can set up the scenery and paint over it with the clear high lights you want to add, and on the costume also.

We have used UV at our venue to great effect (Wildfire 250W Long Throw). However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the UV instruments take a couple of minutes to warm up. So you can't "bump" a UV instrument to full from zero and have an instant change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back