Need To Mix Tracks Post-Recording

Blake

Hey Controlbooth!
I have interesting predicament. A very good friend of mine (hopefully soon, girlfriend) just moved to Indiana for her freshman year of College and she is starting a band. She is a Mass Communications major, but her school also has a school of music with recording studios! Now she wants me to help her mix her music because she knows I have experience with mixing music at my HS theatre. I have training and access to our school's Allen & Heath ML5000 board. What I need to know is if she records all her tracks separately and sends the files to me, is there a way that I can mix them together using my laptop and the board? Any other suggestions?
Thanks Guys and Gals!

Let Audacity be your friend. It's free & Open Sourced. Import each of the individual track's in the DAW and then mix down as necessary. Once you have a mix yo like, render the file to a WAV (cleanest format) or MP3. Rinse & Repeat.

Keep dabbling. It is a pretty easy daw. Glad you liked it.

I love audacity, use it all the time for mulitrack recording and post production work. Very very powerful software. Never had a crash or problem with it. Let us know how your project turns out!

Does anyone know of any good pitch correction plug-ins to use with audacity? I have a track that I am working on right now that I would really like to correct a couple of intonation issues without going back and re-recording the whole thing.

I've been using Reaper Recently demo'ing it out for recording the last 2 shows for my personal post processing practice. Reaper integrates exceptionable well with computer audio interfaces, like the Saffire Pro40 I have; if you also have a need for recording multitrack I've been doing 10 track recordings. I feel like it's a little better program for multitrack mixing where I feel that Audacity strength is in in single track editing. But for 60$ Reaper is a steal for personal use, combined with a Free Audacity, it's seems great way to start out.

See pass multiple tracks from your computer to different channels on your Console you are going to need an Audio Interface. If you got a good pair of studio headphones they can work for a decent mix just out of the computer. Though you'll need and Audio Interface if you actually want to mix/use eq/effects, associated with your console and sound system hardware.

If you go online and download the VST Plugin Pack from audacitys website you get tons more effects then you originally had, i use it all the time, as well as Nuendo (friend gave me a serial he had cause they upgraded him at his workplace off of Nuendo into Audition, so i downloaded the trial, typed the serial and viola.) i also use Music Creator 5 and Wavosaur. The VST Pack for audacity is well worth the download for being free, it gives you 60 or so+ extra effects so yea for free, it is amazingly awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back