Never seen that on a TP-22 base before

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So I was tasked last Friday with a last minute project. Take the last remaining ten degree Colortran fixture (another possibly if I have enough spare parts), and prep for one of our suppliers.

Last time it was used was about ten years ago and it was covered in dust. Also missing a few pieces I had to punt with. Cleaned up ok, TP-22 base and wiring was in decent condition, eventually got a decent enough bench focus out of it. Would have liked to look into why the bench focus wouldn’t persay lock sufficiently but I was short on time. If there was some kind of spring in the cap it might have been missing or broken.

Most interesting thing about it was when I took it apart the lamp was sitting next to the reflector. Seemingly fell out or wasn’t seated correctly in the past. Put it out of my mind and onto other things. Fixture now clean and ready, installed the lamp, fell out again. Never seen a missing spring clip before on such a lamp. Normally they are a pain in the rear in being too loose or too tight but never seen one missing before. Noted a tapped hole in it on the spring clip side - never seen that before either. Someone in the past either removed the spring clip for use of this screw to retain the lamp by way of 6-32 screw or was too cheap to replace the base.

Interesting solution - never seen such a thing before. It did work in retaining the lamp - not ideal but it worked once I added the missing screw. Granted a normal screwdriver couldn’t fit inside the lamp cap properly but it was still a curious idea. I don’t recommend this but anyone see this technique before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back