new board or put a band aid on the old one

itie

hey guys,

so i wanted your opinion on my problem. we have a 40 channel soundcraft spirit 8 and it doesnt have phantom power. what i want to do is buy this and just insets phantom into 7 channels. i know that this is the cost effective way to fix it, but we were also of thinking about selling the board and buying a something else. what do you think.

thanks giovanni

Some of the external Soundcraft power supplies of that vintage had a master switch for phantom power. Check to see if there is one, and it is turned on.

If the phantom power is broken, the problem is likely in the external power supply (the box where the AC cord plugs in). There is little inside the console itself for phantom that would be likely to break.

If the phantom power from the external supply has failed, it can be fixed. I believe the power supply for that console is a pretty basic, linear design, so the +48 V rail can be easily repaired by any competent electronic repair technician.

sorry i didnt say it before but we know that the board supports it but it is broken.
Some of the external Soundcraft power supplies of that vintage had a master switch for phantom power. Check to see if there is one, and it is turned on.

If the phantom power is broken, the problem is likely in the external power supply (the box where the AC cord plugs in). There is little inside the console itself for phantom that would be likely to break.

If the phantom power from the external supply has failed, it can be fixed. I believe the power supply for that console is a pretty basic, linear design, so the +48 V rail can be easily repaired by any competent electronic repair technician.

we thought it was the power supply too bc the plug that feeds into the board has a couple of wire not inside the connector. this probably sounds odd but it looks like someone put to much pressure on the cable and it started to rip out. on the power supply itself when it is running the on light is on but not the +48v light. we look for new power supplys but they seem to run about 900 bucks and we still wouldnt know if this would fix it for sure. thats why we are thinking about replacing the board.

thanks
giovanni

Try to find a good old (been around for 20 years or more) electronics supply place. Probably search for ham radio equipment or vcr repair will find what you're looking for. (yes people do sill repair vcr's) Take your power supply in and talk to the guy behind the counter, they most likely repair electronic equipment and can repair yoru power supply for you very inexpensively. If it's just a matter of the wires coming loose from the conector they may be able to do it while you wait. At least that's been my experience with my local electronics supply place.

ok thanks for the help i have a guy im going to ask to look at the power supply

thanks giovanni

Users who are viewing this thread

Back