New Career starting in Lighting Design

peterleif

Hi to all I'm new to the forum so I make this short and sweet. I'm a recent graduate in Lighting Design, and I'm kinda stuck in a rut. I have had theatre jobs before, worked with IATSE for a few shows been lucky enough to design for a few small community theatre productions, but it doesn't really seem to lead anywhere. I'm more interested in entertainment, corporate and architectural lighting; but I'm not really sure where to begin. My eventual goal is to teach at the college level so getting a masters is a definite goal on my list. My only real question is if any of you have any tips of where to look, whether it be a website or a specific conference: i.e. USITT, SETC,..., and some actual understandable list of Masters Lighting Design programs I would be extremely grateful.

Thank You.

I recommend that you definitely get real world experience before you go into your Master's program for teaching. This will also help you to know if going into teaching is really what you want. Now, most of your work will probably not be in design. You will need to look into production companies and will likely need to consider moving (unless you have a large AV/staging company in your area). Since you have just graduated and probably have made a few connections locally, you may want to pursue a few of those. This business is knowing what you are doing and making good connections.

Make the search function your friend on this forum. Check out this thread as it will help solve some redundancy to your question.

If you can get to USITT, there is a panel specifically targeted for folks like you hosted by the Hemsley Foundation. It brings together in a room one or two established designers, and a number of 'starting out' designers tomtalkmabout breaking into the business.

Usually it is charged either by Alan Adelman or Mark,Stanley

When and if you decide to go for a Masters, you will find a lot of universities hawking their programs at USITT.

Where did you go to school? What do your professors suggest?

Thanks for the response! To answer ruinexplorer first, I'm not under any delusions that I will be numero uno in designing for a large show for a while, in college I was essentially the Student ME. I was the only LD student in the whole department and if the one and only one Stage and Lighting Professor could not get time to hang lights and patch it was generally left to me and whoever I could hog tie into helping. Luckily all my professors know me by name and I know that the SD/LD professor holds me in good regard, I have gotten about 3 jobs through him while in college and I have several friends in the IATSE out of Birmingham, AL, I actually just called a few days ago to get on the non-union workers list for the upcoming season and a friend of mine told them I was calling and gave me good recommendations. I have also heard of a company by the name of First Tech or Tech First, have you heard anything about them before?

JChenault: I went to school at University of Montevallo, I have my BA in Design/Technologies, they offered a BFA program there and I applied several times but was rejected, mainly because they said I had not "found my style", however since I was the only LD student I designed for roughly 4 shows in college, and assisted 2, that I was credited for, and ran and patched board on several more. Mainly my professors said it was a good idea to work alot before applying to grad schools, because the schools want to see that I am committed and capable before admitting a student. However as to jobs, there wasn't much of a support for designers, actors got help left and right but, all the designing professor could do was to give advice as where to look and said that he will keep his ears open to anything I might have interest in.

Though luckily since the school was a small public school, I have no debt to speak of and I do have a job so I'm not in a bad place, just not where I want to be exactly. I actually just recently got back from a Production Assistant volunteer position in Connecticut for the benefit concert for the Sandy Hook kids, so I'm working at least.

Also Ruin I am reading the thread you posted. I wish I knew this existed when I was in highschool, it would have come in handy.

I wish that something like this site existed when I was in school as well. Then again, I might not have used it since I thought I was going in a different direction for my career. :)

For the architectural lighting aspect you might want to look at IES - Illuminating Engineering Society and IALD. Most architectural and landscape lighting designers I've worked with have Electrical Engineering or Architectural Engineering backgrounds.

I Have run into a few IALD websites and articles before, but I haven't heard of IES. I suppose the main problem I'll run into with architectural versus entertainment is that I would have to consider more regulation codes and electrical theories and practices, whereas entertainment is more self contained and non permanent.

I am finding that while I have a college degree most of the stuff I know about technical experience apart from welding, soldering and a few other electrical things, I learned in high school. College was a good experience, but it is nothing compared to what I learned from my first few professional shows, things run smoother, quicker, people actually do their jobs rather than text the whole time, it's quite refreshing actually.

I want to thank you all for answering, it helped to put things into a focus and I have a better idea of where to start from. Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back