Control/Dimming New ETC console family

ETC purchased Avab/Transtechnik in order to bolster growth into Germany and France. Certainly Congo was a good part of that as well as FDX and several other product lines. FYI, in case the question comes up about what ETC's commitment is to these new markets and products, note that large amounts of Marketing and Development resources continue to be applied towards all of these areas....hence, Cobalt.

David

David already mentioned which market the product is aim at and why ETC are still developing the range. ETC are a multinational so they do have products not aimed at the US.

Congo replaced a number of Strand consoles (before Eos available) in the UK, although once Eos & Ion were available most theatres switched from Strand to the Eos family.
In fact for a couple of years Eos was having more success in the UK when in the US, manly because Strand 500 series consoles were dying and when the company was bought out they dumped the palette range with the new 500 software and switched to Horizon software with some strand syntax's added but kept the palette name and thought no one would notice it was a different OS!

Who uses congo consoles... and for what? I've seen one in the wild all of once...

This has really mystified me. I'm amazed at how much trash talk there has been about Congo here in the US simply because you have to take 10 minutes to learn a slightly different programming syntax. It's a very powerful console with a lot of amazing features. But all you ever hear are complaints about the RPN syntax. I can't imagine it taking anyone with half a brain more than an hour to master the change in word order.

Are we really THAT petty about our consoles? Sadly I think the answer is yes. We want new and more powerful toys but we don't want to have to put any effort into learning how to use them. Sorry Fred, we must drive you crazy.

I find it most useful where the designer and the programmer are one in the same.

That said, I thoroughly enjoy when I'm a programmer for a designer other than myself, get into a groove with the designer, and can finish my keystrokes on a given command before the designer reaches the period at the end of their sentence telling me what to do.

Agree. The continental tradition of designer as operator.

This has really mystified me. I'm amazed at how much trash talk there has been about Congo here in the US simply because you have to take 10 minutes to learn a slightly different programming syntax. It's a very powerful console with a lot of amazing features. But all you ever hear are complaints about the RPN syntax. I can't imagine it taking anyone with half a brain more than an hour to master the change in word order.

Are we really THAT petty about our consoles? Sadly I think the answer is yes. We want new and more powerful toys but we don't want to have to put any effort into learning how to use them. Sorry Fred, we must drive you crazy.

Yeah, really? As I asked the guys at the high booth when they were showing hog 4 off, what does the congo do that makes it worth going out of my way to rent/learn that an MA2 can't?

I also disagree that 30 min is all it takes to learn how to change syntax, maybe if you only have an introductory level of programming experience, but once you develop muscle memory with a desk it can be hard to change, let alone have the same level of speed on another desk, especially if it "thinks different"

We also can't forget the EOS and Congo families have completely different operational concepts that appeal to different people in different ways. For how I design, and most of the designers I program for design, the LTP/Move-Fade/Tracking of EOS is more efficient at achieving the end product we want than the HTP/Preset/State of Congo. It is all about what is most appropriate for the work being done.

Re: ETC's new Cobalt Console

Looks great !
It'd be great to see a demo as soon as they're available.
This could be just the thing to replace our ageing Congo. :)

We also can't forget the EOS and Congo families have completely different operational concepts that appeal to different people in different ways. For how I design, and most of the designers I program for design, the LTP/Move-Fade/Tracking of EOS is more efficient at achieving the end product we want than the HTP/Preset/State of Congo. It is all about what is most appropriate for the work being done.

Yes, this post says it all.

As someone who has used both extensive, there are pros and cons to both lines. Once you are two weeks into both consoles, the Congo is hands down faster to do busking on. In my opinion, the screen layout is more flexible and easier to set just how you want them. The effects engine(s) are more flexible, and there are more settings / configuration options. Has tap sync, better (faster) direct select options (due to programming paradigms the console uses). I likely don't have to tell you what is good about the EOS line, but I will anyway, it is easier to use. Less settings mean that you can more easily walk up to a new console and have it work the way you want it to. You can't configure screens as much, but you also can't 'loose' screens, like you can on a Congo (EOS can't make tab 1, channels go a way, Congo you can).

As said above, it all depends on what you are comfortable working on and what kind of work you are doing. My personal preference is the EOS, but that is due mostly to the type of programming I'm doing. There are definitely jobs that I'd rather take a Congo on.

It is also worth mentioning, I provide a lot of training on the EOS lines, and 95% of the time when a customer has a need for one of those consoles, we can achieve exactly what they want on the EOS line console. However, that last 5%, they say, "man I wish this console did ...whatever....". 100% of the time, the thing they want to do is something the Congo excels at.

I agree that the syntax is a hurdle, but as with learning any other console, once you learn it it is fine. Though difficult to go back and fourth on.

I, personally, think that the Congo line has tons of potential, and I'm glad to see that they are supporting that console legacy with a new flagship console kicking off a new line. There were some software issues that plagued the Congos, and I know there is an image issue with it being difficult to use (though not nearly as challenging as an MA, which has great success). Cobalt is a fresh start and I personally hope it has great success.

Who uses congo consoles... and for what? I've seen one in the wild all of once...

1. people love the things in Europe- the congo command line syntax makes more sense in some non- English Languages.
2. When it rolled off the factory floor it had some comparatively nice spec to ETC other lines and had a very competitive price point. They were installed in many theaters in the South East. They remind me of other invasive species that have had success int he region; like nutria's in that way.

It's official and the details are up!

Cobalt 20 is the console, then they have the Cobalt Nomad (a PC solution), and a server version. The spec sheet on the Cobalt 20 references a Cobalt 10, presumably a smaller console, and references using a Congo running the Cobalt software as a backup solution... So sounds like more interesting things to come!

http://www.etcconnect.com/products.family.aspx?ID=30038

"20" appears to be a reference to the motorized faders, so I would agree with you that the "10" is probably a smaller version. Whether that's just in the number of motorized faders or also in physical touchscreen sizes and console footprint size is unknown. Could be that the "10" is to the "20" as the Geo is to the Ti.

I'm intrigued by that ETC has the Geo/Ion/Element/Ti grouped together in one family page on their site, but that the Cobalt and Congo series consoles are on different pages from each other. If there is a deliberate reason for why they're broken apart like that, I'll be curious to hear what it is.

"20" appears to be a reference to the motorized faders, so I would agree with you that the "10" is probably a smaller version. Whether that's just in the number of motorized faders or also in physical touchscreen sizes and console footprint size is unknown. Could be that the "10" is to the "20" as the Geo is to the Ti.

I'm intrigued by that ETC has the Geo/Ion/Element/Ti grouped together in one family page on their site, but that the Cobalt and Congo series consoles are on different pages from each other. If there is a deliberate reason for why they're broken apart like that, I'll be curious to hear what it is.

I'd venture that there's enough of a major re-write of the OS from the Congo that they felt it needed it's own section. Certainly there's no mention of any Congo type lineage in the description.

I would imagine that Cobalt is to Congo as Eos is to Obsession.

Hmm, I'd love to mess around with a demo of it sometime...

Sadly, there's nothing here now but an image. I guess they're not ready for specs & docs to be available to the public.
:-(

Hey Ric -

Change the region setting for the web site - I see that if you have it set to Australia that the page does not load properly. Try Europe/English and you should see everything ok. I'll let the Web folks know to sort out the settings for Australia.

Thanks-

Sarah

Reactions: Ric
Promo video for Cobalt:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It loads for me.

It's there now for me; weird that it wasn't showing anything except the image.

Now we're just waiting for a demo model to arrive in the country, so we can take it for a spin!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back