New Flagship Leatherman

Jay Ashworth

I've been perfectly ok with my Gerber Diesel/M400 (I forget which one I still have and which one I donated to TSA at Toronto in 2009), but if you've been thinking to yourself "self; I just have to have a more expensive multitool than everybody else!", well, Leatherman has your back.

Or your side; wherever you wear the holster.

Or your side; wherever you wear the holster.

Joke aside, it's the same weight as a P4, so the belt clip is fine if you don't intend to carry the bit kit.

I joined the beta team just as they were starting development for this. It was interesting to see the different aspects of that. Surveys on everything, and hands-on testing for a few tool redesigns.

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I'm sure I will eventually. I miss the small screwdriver from my last-gen Surge, but like the weight/size/operation of the P4 I currently carry. This has both, and a new knife steel.

I like my Gerber Center Drive for on site, SOG Pocket Power Pliers for the shop, and Leatherman Rebar for weekends. I always have those paired with the Milwaukee 6 in 1 Fastback utility knife.

I like that my Gerber has its tools accessible without needing to open the tool.

I like my
Gerber Center Drive for on site,
SOG Pocket Power Pliers for the shop,
and Leatherman Rebar for weekends.
THREE different situational dependent multi-tools?! Must be hell on muscle memory. I remember when I would change models of my all-the-time tool (always a Gerber variant). It would take me months to forget that the new tools weren't in the same places as the old tools were.

I've had a couple of Gerbers and SOGs, but I always come back to my original Leatherman. It's nearing 25 years old at this point and still going strong. It does what I need and not much extra. And it's small enough that it can live in the bottom of a pocket and I can forget it's there until I need it. I really like the looks of the ARC, but the MagnaCut tax is a little to much for me to justify since I always carry a real pocket knife too. It would be a lot more appealing to me at $150-$175 with a normal blade that I will almost never use anyway.

no crimper for rj45? fuggedaboutit..
I have a leatherman but what's in my pocket every day from dawn to dusk as my daily driver
is a single blade gerber lock blade that fits comfortably in the palm of my hand and I can deploy in about a second with one hand.

AAANNNDD it's grip is aging AAAAAAANNDD they dont make that one any more..

no crimper for rj45? fuggedaboutit..
I have a leatherman but what's in my pocket every day from dawn to dusk as my daily driver
is a single blade gerber lock blade that fits comfortably in the palm of my hand and I can deploy in about a second with one hand.

AAANNNDD it's grip is aging AAAAAAANNDD they dont make that one any more..
I hate when that happens. I’ve carried a CRKT Ripple for 10ish years. I caught it on something a few months ago and broke one of the screws that holds the belt clip. It took a few tries to find something else acceptable. I hate tip up knives and they’re super hard to find these days. I ended up settling on a Kershaw Leek with Magnacut. Though I would still rather have a Ripple.

THREE different situational dependent multi-tools?! Must be hell on muscle memory. I remember when I would change models of my all-the-time tool (always a Gerber variant). It would take me months to forget that the new tools weren't in the same places as the old tools were.
I know it’s a little silly, but I’ve been using that model SOG for 13 years, the Center Drive for 6, and the Rebar for just a year or two less than that.

The only time my muscle memory is really annoyed is when a reach for something on my hip and nothing is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back