New ION Keys!!

soundlight

Something showed up at work today for our IONs that got me rather excited. New keys. No, not just the TAB key to replace SWAP, but a whole set of brand new keys for each ION. I did a doubletake - why are we getting a new keycap set when we just wanted to get the consoles up to date with the latest 1.9 key layout? Then I opened up the bag and dumped them out. They're contoured.

ETC must have finally realized how much of an issue the flat, poorly designed keys that originally shipped with the ION were (that was my biggest complaint with the console as a programmer - I accidentally hit adjacent keys far too often). The new keys are of a much better design and guide your finger to only the key you want to press. They feel a lot better when programming and naturally fit to your fingers. Essentially, they're awesome.

If you have the old-style flat keys I'd recommend contacting the dealer that you purchased your console from and asking them to get you a set of the keys. I have been told that they are actually free (but don't quote me on that) but you do have to get them through an ETC dealer.

There's a thread on it over at the ETC dating back to October that documents the availability of new keycaps. I've got mine on order via ETC support, but so far no present from Santa :(

proxy.php

Last edited:
Oh, Oh, THANK you for this !.

I do admit, that even though I love the console, the keyboard is not as ergonomic as I would like.

Calling Barbizon in the AM

Hey guys!

A quick note about keycaps -- have your serial number handy when you call your dealer or your local ETC office. New consoles will have the keycaps already installed.

Glad to hear you guys are liking them! We have a few swapped over in Tech Services (hence the pictures on the ETC Forums), and it's definitely a nice touch for the console.

Hans

Hey guys!
Glad to hear you guys are liking them! We have a few swapped over in Tech Services (hence the pictures on the ETC Forums), and it's definitely a nice touch for the console.

Hans

now if we can get 1024 dimmers on an Element we'll have the best movie/tv board ever.

Are these new keys also available for the Element?

Last edited:
After you replace the keys on your console, you can use the old keys to replace all the keys on your buddies computer keyboard.

Let me know how that works out, I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

I was inspired by sk8rsdad's post, so I dug my old key caps out of the garbage (good thing the cleaners haven't touched the booth since Winter Recess started) and stuck them on my x-keys.
Although the single keys worked perfectly, the double keys didn't quite line up, so I had to use some blanks and label them myself.
I used the keys from my EOS, then realized that some of the keys I wanted weren't replaceable on the EOS (Displays, Macro, Format, Tab) so I had to grab those from my ION, but all in all I think it came out pretty good.

x-keys new buttons.JPG

See what you started, WooferHound? If this catches on, ETC is going to start wanting the old keycaps back, so they can resell them.

Is there anything to stop you from purchasing a set of the new keys to use with an X-Keys? I do some work with a theatre where I am forced to do a lot of programming from an X-Keys and I would love to get the better/newer keys for it and the actual Ion itself. I wonder how much a key set would cost if it was not associated with an Ion serial.

I feel rather ignorant asking but...What are X-Keys???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back