Automated Fixtures New(ish) Chauvet LED Scanners (200 and 300)

Kind of exciting.

I can see being able to make gobos on your color printer if the heat is low enough....kinda like the cheaper LED Gobo Projectors. Should be fun.

As far as the Chauvet stuff goes, we had a demo of a Q-Spot 260 LED in our shop and I was blown away. The output was pretty much the same as an MSD250 (fixture was a Studio Spot 250) less than halfway through its life, better in some colors. And the field was almost perfectly flat, no hotspot issues. The gobo selection was surprisingly good for a chinese fixture and the rotating gobos are easy to replace via a door on the top of the fixture (good for people who do lots of custom projections). The prism is nice and doesn't cut down on brightness too much, but there is a noticeable drop (well it's being split 3 ways, it's not going to be quite as bright). I completely stripped the fixture of its outer housing (head covers, yoke covers, and base covers) and checked it out. Surprisingly good build quality, and everything looks pretty well put together. Almost all of the features are direct-drive, so no belts or other motion transfer to get in the way. Just a couple of belts (focus being one of them, of course) and the fixture had a drive board in the base and in the head. LCD display was nice, and the locking IEC connector was a bonus over the regular IECs and also means that I could do power drops same length as DMX drops in a re-useable small truss loom.

As for the 300s, hopefully getting some hands on experience with those soon, I'll report back when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back