new mackie powered speaker

Some Intresting inovations in that series. Though i have a feeling they are going to be priced out of the DJ, and Mid to Low consumer level, (they keep throwing "pro" around in the video". There is a mix of features which seem some what contradictory to me. The Inherent design seems to lend it self to small setups (quick presentation, small concerts, DJ's and other users with just regular residential transport. But then at the 2000w power rating, Mounting options, and lack of a 15"/18" sub ( though the 12" spec'ed on data sheets looks pretty good), it seems seems to also want to also be an "install/Pro" use type series. It seems to be competing with the Anchor Audio Liberty Series. The DLM mixer device seems like it might get in the way for a person who has their own digital console or outboard equipment that they prefer.

The Price point I think will determine whether or not this really takes off. If a full"system of say 2 8" and 2 subs runs more then 5 grand...... they might have missed the mark.

I'm intrigued though I'll admit.

I guess we'll see :)

Last edited:
I wonder about sound quality and construction quality at that price. In my (somewhat limited) expierence, Mackie equipment is really hit or miss. Some of the older American made stuff wasn't bad, but it seems like quality has really gone down the last few years. I bought a small desktop mixer from them, and literally 4 days out of warranty it died. I wasant satisfied with its performance to begin with, it hissed and buzzed and clipped at rather low levels. I have always had better luck with Yamaha, JBL, Peavey, ect. It's almost impossible to stop some of those old JBl amps and powered speakers, but todays stuff can't take a hit at all.

looks like mackie has just anounced a new powered speaker lineup.

the DLM series

looks interesting, but its not shipping
I agree that I'm not sure who is the target market. The model number makes me think they may be intended to be companion speakers to create a compact, portable system when used with the DL1608 mixer. With many low cost "pro" speakers, 'line arrays', digital mixers, etc. being offered it is becoming more confusing than ever for end users trying to compare products and/or sound providers.

I am generally a fan of coincidentally aligned or coaxial speaker systems and also of DSP acoustical correction and despite Mackie seeming to be trying to create the impression that this is some new technology they developed for the DLM speakers, these concepts have been implemented for years by other speaker manufacturers. There are all sorts of challenges to properly implementing those concepts so I'll be interested to see and hear how well they are implemented in the Mackie DLM speakers.

I hope this does not end up being another example of announcing products that are still in development rather than actual products, I am getting tired of 'new product' announcements with no associated technical information, no demo units for dealers, contractor or consultants to evaluate and projected availability that ends up being well before the actual availability.

once these products get into the real world it will be easier to judge them. i can see how production bumps in a new product could cause delay as they want the first impression to be a good one. so need of fixing some unexpected glitch ends up adding another delay as the fix happens. snow balls.

once these products get into the real world it will be easier to judge them. i can see how production bumps in a new product could cause delay as they want the first impression to be a good one. so need of fixing some unexpected glitch ends up adding another delay as the fix happens. snow balls.

I feel like a product like this shouldn't be announced until they're already manufacturing the product and have units ready to be shipped to dealers for demos. I'm sure their thinking is that by press releasing as soon as possible they will stall people from buying something else until they can evaluate the new product.

I gave up on Mackie when 40% of their SRM-350's were DOA on a 60 cabinet stocking order.
Wait a second! Your saying you had 60 come in and about 24 of them were DOA? That's amazing! I knew their quality had gone down hill since the good old days but that's really bad. How long ago was that? What did Mackie say about it?

the last mackie gear i used was a pair of older SRM450's not the V2 ones, but the originals. as far as i know they still work too, probably 5 years old or so by now. i have heard that their new stuff is going down hill, so i have opted to use JBL or EAW whenever I can.

This was probably 6-7 years ago. Mackie eventually replaced the defective units with working units but by that time I had a lot of unhappy clients and just lost faith in the company.

It didn't help any that shortly after that a Mackie 24/4 VLZ Pro mixer from a recent church installation lost the left side output. A call to Mackie Service Department informed me the board was no longer supported and repair parts were unavailable. The board was at most 3 years old. Ended up replacing the Mackie with a Allen & Heath GL2400-32.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back