New Member Hello!

Spongebob

Hi! My nickname is Spongebob, I prefer to not show my real name. I'm in the LA area and I'm a senior in high school. I'm president of our theatre department and thespians, and I've been involved in all the productions that my school holds (not many: two major shows per year and a few small showcases) as stage running and stage manager. I'm also the technical director for our show choir, but in my opinion its a BS role created by my choir teacher that just needs someone in the choir with some common sense :)
I discovered this site while searching for books to add to my tech theatre book collection.
From this site, I hope to learn about the "real world" of technical theatre, and I hope to learn about design and equipment management (because my school's equipment is old and sucks)
Please help me learn! :D

Welcome! Great to have you here. There is a lot of great info here, and many people in your same situation. Let us know how we can help you. Enjoy CB!

~Dave

Welcome, 'Bob. Glad you found us.

As for books, here's my collection that I've been working on since 1979: DL's Technical Theatre Books (www). I've bought many of them used, via Amazon or Alibris. In my opinion, textbooks need not be purchased new; with technology rapidly evolving, any book is going to be out of date the minute it's printed anyway. One of my goals is to establish eventually a user-rating system for industry textbooks here. See also the collaborative article Theatre Books.

Just for conversation, can you tell us how realistic Glee is? :rolleyes:
Does your school have a Sue Sylvester? Last week, Kristin Chenowith, on The View, commented on how Glee is refocusing attention to the arts in schools. I'll turn in my man card now.:(

Last edited:
Last week, Kristin Chenowith, on The View, commented on how Glee is refocusing attention to the arts in schools. I'll turn in my man card now.:(
There is no need to surrender your card, Kristin is amazing.
The View, however is garbage.

Welcome Bob.

I'm a girl, and I've only watched two episodes of Glee.
As for being realistic, I'm not sure, my school's theatre barely qualifies as a theatre (I say that because they have a legit theatre, therefore they're not realistic to me, other people, yes.), but the show choir competes and dances and sings and whatnot. But there's so much more drama in a real show choir than Glee.
....How do you people have time to watch the View and Glee?

As for books, i only have The Backstage Handbook (third edition) and The Stage Management Handbook by Daniel A. Ionazzi.

I realize that I am in desperate need of more books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back