Design New to DMX...Channel Assignment Help Needed

GMEDJ

I've been a DJ for about 10 years now, but as I recently started a new company, to be competitive, I've spent a few thousand dollars in DMX lighting equipment. (All used via eBay, Craigslist, etc. but they work like champs!)

I have played with every light I have (most of them I purchased in pairs for balance in the room) and they all work very well when I put them on the same channel. The problem is, I have a Chauvet DMX-50 and I can not seem to get them to operate as individual units...that is, I would like to be able to push "Scanner 2" and be able to control ONLY that light while the others "groove to the music".

I know how to set to different channels, but that only seems to change what the controls to to the lights.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Yes, each fixture must have a unique DMX address, and must match the console/controller's patch. So, in your case, with the DMX-50, Fixture #1 would be DMX 001, Fixture#2 would be DMX 017, and so on. Maybe you knew that part.

... I would like to be able to push "Scanner 2" and be able to control ONLY that light while the others "groove to the music". ...
There's probably a way to turn on and off the "groove to the music" function for a particular fixture from the console, but I don't know as I've never used that function. Is the "sound to light" function happening via the console or in the fixture itself?

Last edited:
I would like to be able to push "Scanner 2" and be able to control ONLY that light while the others "groove to the music".
I am not sure you can do what you want with this controller. If you can, you will want to:
1) store a chase into the unit
2) play that chase
3) select an instrument or "scanner" and try to control it using the joystick and faders
Either this will work, and the instrument you are now controlling with the faders and joystick will not be affected by the chase (which will continue running the other instrument) or it won't, in which case, either the chase will stop, or the chase will override what you do on the controls for the selected fixture. You'll find out which pretty quick.

You may want to use automated chases (or scene banks) for most of your fixtures, and simply not program any steps for one or two really cool fixtures which you would like to control manually.

My understanding is that the Chauvet DMX 50 only has storage for 6 chases, and beyond that, you have to play scenes from the scene banks, which probably cannot be stacked to run simultaneously. You might find this controller simply can't do what you want. There are several entry-level Elation controllers which can, definitely the Show Designers. I picked up a used SD1 for $300, and I consider it a very good investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back