New to the Community!

decoocoo

Hi, I am a choir teacher doubling as the drama director for a very small all-girls school in the SF-Bay Area. I enjoy what I am doing but am confronting the reality of not having a clue about anything to do with Stage Crafts. I am learning as I go along how to design sets (I can't draw worth a hill of beans), create costumes, style wigs ( don't even ask) and anything else that needs doing. I am motivated by my girls who work very hard to be as professional as possible. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from this community of artisans!

You'd be surprised how common that is, having someone with little to no experience in charge of a high school theatre program. But the good news is that you're trying to learn, and that's really good! If you haven't found it already, check out the Glossary and Collaborative Articles for some really good information on a lot of topics. There's a really good (and really long!) Reading List for everything theatre, from simple basics to advanced topics, in case you're looking for some books to read. Also be sure to make use of the powerful Search feature, there's some very useful posts that you can find here. And as always, feel free to start a new thread if you can't find help with a specific issue. Enjoy!

Decoocoo,
I'd love to know how your first semester went! I am on the verge of taking the plunge myself and am having last minute reservations because I am in the same boat you are - no technical experience.

Were you able to pull off a solid production by learning what you needed to know from books and the internet?

...create costumes, style wigs ( don't even ask) and anything else that needs doing. ...
Well, perhaps your first season shouldn't have included Hairspray, Beehive, and Hair!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back