New toys !

SteveB

A mini-review:

Our Dept. of Theater just received 32 ETC ColorSource Pars on a grant. 16 or so are to be used in their black box, a roughly 50x50 with a 12-15 ft ceiling, or so space.

The current show is a thrust setup with a 22x25 playing space.

9 Color Sources are being used as bax/tops as fresnel replacements. They are using the wide round lense for this application, which is about 70 deg. of spread.

I got to run these thru some basic tests today and can say they kick ass. Coverage is terrific, with an even field at head height. With a lense there is little of the annoying look of typical LED's when you see the LED array, so essentially the unit looks like a fresnel, only with 8 emitter lenses. So probably no complaints from the audience.

Color is typical ETC terrific. Want an R34, you get an R34. Ditto about every gel book color I ran thru. When I looked at R21 it had a bit less "golden" color, but on the Ion there's an "Add Yellow" function which did what it was supposed to do, make it an R21. As others have stated,. these units don't do that really deep blue and indigo that is common on an Aura or Robe R&R LED unit, but for a theatrical venue they seemingly match every gel book color I could think of and IMO, that's more important then electric blue or indigo that you would never get out of an incandescent unit with a gel in any case.

They are about the size of an Altman 6" 65Q fresnel and have a frame holder for accessories. We have not tried a barn door as yet.

EDIT: And as afterthought, about as bright as a 750w fresnel. Not quite as punchy as our Colortran 6" 1kw's, but a lot brighter then the Altman 1K6FR's with 500's.

Dimming had no stepping I could see, fades are good out of the box.

I'll follow up after they do some cueing and can report on color transitions, etc..

From what I've seen so far a perfect unit for a venue of this type. Would I use in my 2400 seat road house ?, don't know yet. That's a future test including how well they might work as cyc lights......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back