Conventional Fixtures No Worklights, No

appleaday

Our new lecture space was not designed with any worklights at all. As to be expected, our maintinantce and custodial staff and undergrads resort to turning on all the performance lights to 100% and leaving them on when they leave. It's possible to reprogram our presets to only turn on a few dimmers at a time. As we don't have the funding to install circuits for any conventional worklights, I was hoping to be able to distribute several lower wattage fixtures in the FOH trusses and simply aim them down. Does anyone have any reccomendations for which fixtures (the university is interested in purchacing instuements that go along with our "new theatre" look) would be most efficient and dimmable? It would be important that they be available with Stagepins. Is there perhaps an LED option?
Thanks

Source 4 PARs with XWFL lenses and either 375 or 575 watt long life lamps.
or
Altman Q Lite/ Q Lite Jr.

How big is this room? How many of these trusses are there? What's their trim height?

Last edited:
How big is this room? How many of these trusses are there? What's their trim height?[/QUOTE]

Its a 300 seat space, really more of a lecture hall than a theare. There is only one FOH Turss, with 30 circuits. There are two over the stage with 14 each. The FOH is trimmed to about 25 ft. Over the stage they're about 20.

Hmmmmm, New theatre look, I like the S4 Par Idea. LED is a great thing for worklights in a way, First off they naturally spray wide anyways, Some sort of LED pars might work good!

Ok, whats the wattage limit of the dimmers for those circuits?

Hmmmmm, New theatre look, I like the S4 Par Idea. LED is a great thing for worklights in a way, First off they naturally spray wide anyways, Some sort of LED pars might work good!

Perhaps, not a bad idea. Maybe something like this Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products, or this LED Dimming 100 Watt Fresnel House Light

Or Elation Professional - Professional Lighting Products if you had a bit more money.

What's the budget anyway? A larger budget and you could do this with LED, a "normal" one and you could go the Q-Lite/Source 4 PAR, and a shoestring budget, PAR 38 cans.

I would also like to comment on the "they naturally spray wide anyway" comment. This really only applies to the lowest end American DJ RGB "diodes soldered to a circuit board" type cans. Most of the Service and Professional grade fixtures are available in either a variety of beam spreads, or a narrow one only with a selection of spreader lenses.

Last edited:
What's the budget anyway? A larger budget and you could do this with LED, a "normal" one and you could go the Q-Lite/Source 4 PAR, and a shoestring budget, PAR 38 cans.[/QUOTE]

I only have the power to reccomend, not sure what the actual budget is at all. Thanks so much for you're help!

While the LED's seem like a good idea remember with both theres no need to use more than a few circuits, you should definitely twofer or even threefer them to save circuits

YES YOUR RIGHT! I did not think when I said LED's "have a nice spray" That is true, low end ones do, color blasts, stage bars are tight. Martin has a a lot of exterior LEDS which would take care of your space and have a modern look to it!

Are the trusses actual triangle or box truss, or are they dead hung/flown pipes, or are they catwalks? If they are actual truss, it might look really cool to put a long solid line of fluorescent tubes inside of them... Might be a bit pricey but would add a cool look for things that needed general illumination...

for something that is going to be on a lot I would go with a q-lite over the s4 par. t-3's are cheap to replace, as are the sockets as long as you don't buy them from altman at their 700% markup.

for something that is going to be on a lot I would go with a q-lite over the s4 par. t-3's are cheap to replace, as are the sockets as long as you don't buy them from altman at their 700% markup.

Hence the recommendation of the LONG LIFE HPL lamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back