Non-DMX fogger

ACTSTech

So I was "gifted" a Chauvet DJ Geyser T6 fogger, which was nice but it's not DMX. As it's not a crucial piece of equipment, I was thinking about if it would be possible to do some tinkering with the remote and make it sort of DMX. Anyone ever try anything like that? And yes, I know I'm insane.

Also, I'm aware this isn't technically lighting, but it would be pseudo electric so that's why I posted here. If it should be moved, please let me know. I feel like Ron Hebbard is already judging me.

HI @ACTSTech ,
I made a DMX remote relay trigger for a couple of smoke machines. Essentially you have to figure out how the wired remote triggers the smoke machine and then using a dmx relay have that make the connection that is usually made by pressing the button.
Remember that these machines are mains powered and from memory use mains voltage across the switch to fire the smoke machine so proceed with caution.
I used something like this and had to assemble it (solder the components on to the board and mount the board in an enclosure). the relay is 12v coil but the contacts will handle 240v according to the data on the relay.
It took a couple of hours to put it together but I did these electronic kits lots when I was younger and was almost born with a soldering iron in my hand.
Hope this is of use.
Regards
Geoff

A lot of budget machines used a 0-10vdc, which means you can get a DMX to analog converter to do the work for you.

A lot of budget machines used a 0-10vdc, which means you can get a DMX to analog converter to do the work for you.
Mine are Beamz 400w smoke machines and I think they were mains voltage. I have these small machines to go inside props that can be battery powered through an inverter. I have them side stage on mains and then swap them to battery just before they go on.

EDIT: Brand is AVE 500w

It took a couple of hours to put it together but I did these electronic kits lots when I was younger and was almost born with a soldering iron in my hand.
Hope this is of use.
Regards
Geoff
Darn, Geoff - I think your mom would have had a few words with you over such a birth... ;)

Darn, Geoff - I think your mom would have had a few words with you over such a birth... ;)
I said almost! and even if I was it would have been cold because there were no battery powered soldering irons back then.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back