Non-techs vs techs

photoatdv

the Tech philosophy...

Ever noticed how many non-tech type people flip at the sight of blood and have no idea what to do. I was sitting there last night when someone called saying they couldn't come to our party because they cut their hand thinking wow. Either they didn't hit anything major and they should have been able to get it to stop bleeding (rubbing alcohol to clean it and pressure to stop the bleeding) or they need to go to the hospital. I was talking to a RN the other day about how people these days tend to flip about everything (I'm not saying don't go to the doctor if you need to-- but every papercut doesn't require stitches!). Somehow I usually know what to do when I find a way to hurt myself (maybe years of doing the biology olympidad). In most cases even if something bothers us be it heights, blood, electricity, whatever, we find a way to do it anyway.

Same thing when something breaks around the house. Techs generally fix it. Non-techs call the repair guy or buy a new one. This can also extend to other fields... its just that so much of our world has learned to depend on others for everthing.

Last edited:
Sooo...you're saying that if I get squeamish at the sight of blood, I'm not a real tech? Oh, lordy, lordy, sounds like I need to find a new career! Good thing surgeons are also required to take Stagecraft.
Not only is this a gross generalization, but a completely unfounded one. I really don't even know where you would get such a ridiculous notion that anyone who's not a tech faints at the sight of blood, while anyone who happens to know how to build a flat can also cauterize his own wounds. This whole "non-techs vs techs" mentality is childish and helps no one.

Sooo...you're saying that if I get squeamish at the sight of blood, I'm not a real tech? Oh, lordy, lordy, sounds like I need to find a new career! Good thing surgeons are also required to take Stagecraft.
Not only is this a gross generalization, but a completely unfounded one. I really don't even know where you would get such a ridiculous notion that anyone who's not a tech faints at the sight of blood, while anyone who happens to know how to build a flat can also cauterize his own wounds. This whole "non-techs vs techs" mentality is childish and helps no one.

proxy.php

Allow me to mediate this a bit, if I may.

While I certainly agree that the whole "techie vs non techie" thing is a childish argument, I think I can rephrase photoadv's feelings in a less conflicting way.

I would say that most of us in the profession of technical theatre have a certain do-it-yourself, can-do or otherwise creative attitude when it comes to problem solving and management. I would say that most of us are the type of people that prefer to be self-sufficient instead of needing to rely on the help of others for our day to day survival. I'd say that most of us like to solve problems ourselves, if we can, but try to show the wisdom to ask for help when needed. It's a kind of mindset that I think has fallen from mainstream American culture. A lot of us work with out hands as well as our minds, many of us still carry pocket knives or other tools, something more and more people might consider a "dangerous and offensive weapon". When it comes down to it most of us live a more "hands on" life style than the average 9-5. Now, bear in mind that these are just my impressions, you needn't agree.

Again, while phrasing this as "tech's vs. non-tech's" is certainly confrontational, at the base of the arguement I think it comes down to different mind sets and world views.

As far as the blood thing goes, I think that perhaps we're more accustomed to the sight of blood. I still don't like seeing it, but we work with our hands a lot and are likely to get a little banged up. Lots of people who work in offices or other white collar jobs don't get very desensitized to it so they may be more apt to freak out. Then of course there are probably people who just plain get sick when they bleed or see blood no matter how much they see it. Me, I think I could see a million splattered squirrels on the road but in the end it would still gross me out. Gory things like that definitely run chills down my spine.

As far as us techs being more into DIY, sure. And maybe we love any excuse to take our work home with us - I know I do, and it's fun putting your skills to use on something that won't eventually be undone. We know some carpentry and electrical and would usually feel comfortable taking on our own tasks in the home.
On the flip side, there are probably a lot of technicians who just don't have the time or aren't experienced with how to actually set a real door in a real wall and would rather call someone else to do it. Things like actual windows and Romex wire are quite different from a box set made from hollywood flats and wired with zip cord.

NO I'm not saying you're not a real tech. But I'm saying all in all you're a little less likely to go screaming into the ER with a paper cut. I have almost passed out in a vets office, but I didn't freak when I cut my finger. We are a little more do-it-ourselves is what I'm saying.

On the whole less, but also most of us have had to deal with more emegencies (power failure,dmx drops out, all that fun stuff) on a regular basis, so yes for most of us.
Nick

I'm not very good with blood....

When I was 15 or 16, I cut my finger with an xacto knife while carving a block of wood. While washing it in the sink I fainted.

The first time I had blood drawn from my arm (18) I fainted while walking out of the exam room.

Last year, at my son's 2 year checkup, they had to draw blood... from his finger... four little capillary tubes full... it took like 5 minutes. He handled it marvelously, didn't cry at all, he was fascinated. Me? I was sick to my stomach thinking about it. He also took four shots and didn't complain.

I can handle cuts and scrapes, but serious bleeding is another story. I can handle spraining my ankle, but I was seriously humbled when I dislocated my shoulder while carrying a big bag of laundry down the stairs.

But on the other point about DIY, yeah. I've been a problem solver my whole life. Computer problems, car problems, theater problems... it's all related to a skill of critical thinking. Thinking WAY outside the box usually leads to a solution on the outskirts of the box. I know I can always rely on myself to find a solution.
Yep, I carry two pocket knives, have one in the car. They're tools, not weapons. If threatened, what am I going to do? Hope the attacker waits until I pull out my leatherman, unfold the pliers part to access the blade? Going into courthouses for jury duty, I feel naked without them - in today's society it could be targeted from an outside force, and I'm without my tools!

Indeed techs tend to deal with emergencies in a much more "cool headed", "collected" and "matter of fact" way. We've seen a lot, and had to deal with a lot of dangerous (or potentially dangerous) situations.
We also tend to have a rather broad set of skills and experience. From carpentry to electrics, rigging to sewing. I know I can do all of the above. I am however certainly not an expert at all of them by any means.
We just get a lot of broad skill sets and experiences.

And alot of us (especially in carpentry, etc) do see blood on a fairly regular basis. And you really don't to tend to mind it so much after the millionth time...
You slice your finger... Oh ****... Then go back to work because you want to finish something... Then you go get some gaff tape and paper towel because the first aid kit is out of band-aids and you, clean it up with some alcohol and polysporin and tape it shut so you A) don't get blood everywhere and B) don't get it dirty/infected.
The same thing I know on construction sites, working as an electrician. When I cut myself stripping big honking wires, what do I do??? Tape the cut with my vinyl electrical tape, and deal with it further at lunch or when I get home.

The whole blood thing really has nothing to do with whether or not you're a tech really. I've seen actors and audience members and other such people be completely calm in the face of a nasty gash in one of their limbs. I've also seen some fellow technicians scream, squeal, and faint at the sight of blood because they didn't like it. It's just the type of person you are.

You know who's probably better than dealing with blood than even technicians though? (I mean, if you really want to get into this) Kitchen staff, I've seen some pretty gnarly stuff come out of the kitchens I work next to or when my boyfriend comes home and he's got the top part of his finger lopped off, or a giant gash in the web of his fingers between his thumb and index finger. Seriously, dood....

In terms of the DIY, I doubt it hasn't already been said but I think that's tech's are more independent, creative, and problem-solvers because that's how we do our jobs. That's how we learn, or at least that's how I learned to my job. I took things apart to learn how they worked, I've fixed things on the fly because someone else broke them and all the while been calm about it, too. It's simply the way we're taught/learn how to do things. That's all it comes down to.

Last edited:
You might be on to something with the calm and collected thing. Though it may be my CPR training, the other day my father collapsed in the living room and my mother thinks he died and is screaming on the phone at the 911 person. How did she reach this conclusion? She lifted up his arm and it flopped back down. I go over to him, see that he's breathing and his heart is beating, tell my mother to shut up and give me the phone. Whenever something bad happens, I'm the one who keeps his cool.

Re: the Tech philosophy...

Ever noticed how many non-tech type people flip at the sight of blood and have no idea what to do. I was sitting there last night when someone called saying they couldn't come to our party because they cut their hand thinking wow. Either they didn't hit anything major and they should have been able to get it to stop bleeding (rubbing alcohol to clean it and pressure to stop the bleeding) or they need to go to the hospital. I was talking to a RN the other day about how people these days tend to flip about everything (I'm not saying don't go to the doctor if you need to-- but every papercut doesn't require stitches!). Somehow I usually know what to do when I find a way to hurt myself (maybe years of doing the biology olympidad). In most cases even if something bothers us be it heights, blood, electricity, whatever, we find a way to do it anyway.

Same thing when something breaks around the house. Techs generally fix it. Non-techs call the repair guy or buy a new one. This can also extend to other fields... its just that so much of our world has learned to depend on others for everthing.
WHERE IS THE DUCT TAPE .. IT WILL STOP BLEEDING..

Re: the Tech philosophy...

WHERE IS THE DUCT TAPE .. IT WILL STOP BLEEDING..

My wife shared an old ER saying with me that I always treasure.

All bleeding ultimately stops.

In terms of the DIY, I doubt it hasn't already been said but I think that's tech's are more independent, creative, and problem-solvers because that's how we do our jobs. That's how we learn, or at least that's how I learned to my job. I took things apart to learn how they worked, I've fixed things on the fly because someone else broke them and all the while been calm about it, too. It's simply the way we're taught/learn how to do things. That's all it comes down to.
We're also used to having to do our own work, so we're used to it. I teach high school, and I'm constantly amazed by other teachers who won't do anything outside their contract, including moving their own furniture around. I get twice as much done because I try to fix my own problems before burdening our overworked maintenance department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back