Not my theater, thankfully, but I saw this and had to share.

A truly horrifying clip of a high school performance of Peter Pan. After the first disaster, you don't expect the second one. I have no idea what these people were thinking.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kx3byv8ow[/media]

I don't have any words for that video... So many things went down that never should have happened. Without addressing the fact that an actor flew into a set piece and the audience cheers and the actor dances.

At that point, its time to take a break and recuperate, or stop the show for the night. Especially in a high school setting, I know i would be immediately talking to my director. There are more opportunities for mishaps after peoples nerves have been shaken around a bit. (I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir here, but still.)

And wow, just wow. Haha.

Last edited:
Oh my... High School Theatre at its best right there. Since no one was hurt I can say this with a clear conscience, but man that was funny. This is why I prefer to Design Lights and be in the audience during the show or comfortably seated behind the light board.

That video just left me speechless! I've been in the staging crew for shows were things have fallen over, but not on stage, and not nearly that bigger piece (the worst we had was a ramp 2m Lx750mmWx500h). Les, I agree with you, behind the board is the best!

Yeah I couldn't believe that person with the baby just let it keep crying like that...

And the spots weren't that great either...
:lol:

Hahah. First thing i noticed, and i actually missed the set piece falling over the first time i watched it because i was still trying to figure out just how it was possible to move the spot as much as they were.

Another question:

Who decided that the proper response to something like this was to go to black? I mean come on. You're not fooling anybody. Everyone saw it fall over. They'd might as well see you stand it back up again. At least they closed the drape, but it happened much too late, IMO.

Also, I too thought the spots were bad -- and extremely pointless. I absolutely loathe overused followspots.

This is why we would never attempt to fly someone at our theater :p

How do you forget to take a fly line off you and put it on someone else? o_0

And set falling could of been avoided by better front supports. But the sets did look great.
I like their curtain :p

The funniest thing by far that has ever happened in one of our shows was last year in Bed Side Manor. It's about a hospital, and an old lady pretty much, is sleeping our passed out, then randomly comes out and screams something sometimes. Well, one of the time she does, she goes back up on a little platform and jumps on her bed and is supposed to be crying because she didn't get something, but as she jumped on the bed the mattress fell off the bed and she tumbles to the floor, was very low and it was Hilarius, it knocked over her IV drip holder thing, a heart rate machines and almost the other bed. Two nurses came out and fixed everything while helping the 'old lady'. It was great :)

Actually, by the time the guy got dragged all over the place i was laughing, then I stopped because of the fly issue, then i started again. The spotlights were SO BAD!. Especially since they didnt really move much, an ERS would have been a better choice. Also, the set piece falling and the awkward response made me laugh very hard as well.

we've had one misshap while i've been at my high school and it involved a cart wheel falling off (luckily no one was on it or supposed to be and it came at the most oportune time, Fiddler ending sequence when the family leaves) actors played it off really well, but i know that if something in our theater that big fell, immediate black out, then house lights up as the Director walks on stage and says the show is having technical difficulties as well as stating that they can get their money back in the foyer. Shows at my high school will stop if something like that happens.

we've had one misshap while i've been at my high school and it involved a cart wheel falling off (luckily no one was on it or supposed to be and it came at the most oportune time, Fiddler ending sequence when the family leaves) actors played it off really well, but i know that if something in our theater that big fell, immediate black out, then house lights up as the Director walks on stage and says the show is having technical difficulties as well as stating that they can get their money back in the foyer. Shows at my high school will stop if something like that happens.

Really? I know people who would pay extra for things like that to go wrong.

Edit: Just realized you were referring to the set piece, not the cart. FML.

lol i was gonna say a house falling over? really? maybe we should do more of that lol, also i should try to write with more clarification.

Actually, by the time the guy got dragged all over the place i was laughing, then I stopped because of the fly issue, then i started again. The spotlights were SO BAD!. Especially since they didnt really move much, an ERS would have been a better choice. Also, the set piece falling and the awkward response made me laugh very hard as well.

Don't you love awkward techie response?

Especially since they weren't in blacks... I don't allow jeans or sweatshirts for that reason. ;)

WHY would you go black? That is the least helpful thing you can possibly do. Except maybe to jerk the spots back and forth as much as possible.

Maybe the spots were laughing? Still though.

I did Peter Pan at an outdoor community theatre, and on opening night, the windows into the room wouldn't open on one side (not my side, mind you). The SM didn't it, the person opening the other side of the window didn't see it, and nobody but Pan saw it and the fly cue was given. So Pan flies straight into the closed window. We all hear over the sound system a long stream of words that I will not repeat, we reset, try it again, and it goes as planned that time. The actress left a dent in our window. She happened to be the wife of the director, so the director is pissed! He comes backstage and starts yelling at us, and the rest of the show goes off without a hitch. The reason it slipped under so many people's radar was the design of the stage and the fact that the area that Pan flies in from is engulfed in fog for that sequence. The entire rest of all the shows went off without a hitch unless you count a couple being rained out...That's outdoor theater for ya.

Wow . . . The set was cute . . . until it came crashing down. My question is why would you not anchor such an obviously top heavy piece to the deck, or atleast sandbag it to an extreme. This does beg the question how do you cover something like that I mean really, drop the main take an intermission, reset and try again, and as far as the fly line is concerned where is the asm or deckhand that is supposed to check the hand off, no offence to preformers but I would never trust one with there own saftey they have too much in there heads already trying to maintain a character. I have to say that it was one of the better youtube videos I've seen in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back