Vintage Lighting Old frames and color wheel

Van

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
DOn't know where these came from. The ME here at ART was going to throw them out when I saw them. I think they probably go to the Scottish Rite's stage accross the street < they used to own this building> Anyway, they've been sitting in my office too long and now I need to move hem to better storage but I tought I'd you all might like to see them. Check out this cool gel < yes it's a wooden frame. Yes they are 'Real' gel as in they melt when wet>
P7030080.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yuwLkeR_7eg/ThOPDv4MPFI/AAAAAAAAAko/ew3-LOC6iQM/s400/P7030080.JPG

Well, ok as soon as CB let's me upload tha pictures I will, I uess I'm embedding links for now.
Here's a pic of the "Color Wheel" I don't think this was an automated unit, electrical or gear driven, I think this was manually operated,
P7030081.JPG
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OHVztMDi1748yAcSTIL94g?feat=directlink

And, Yeah, I've got a box of them.
P7030082.JPG
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_yJypRSCCVJP3_PZIjzjyg?feat=directlink

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome awesome awesome!

Sort of. I've seen them used in a couple of different ways. the one that is pictured could have been a 'color changer' for a followspot made from a ellipsodial. There are other versions which worked off of either a mechanical < wind-up > drive, or an electric motor. I've seen them use in everything from store widows, to accent lights at parties. You could use them to change the whole stage colors, real Psychedelic.
I believe you can see both in action in the movie, "The Girl in the Gold Boots" and either "Kitten with a whip" or "The Incredibly Strange Creatures who gave up on living and decided to become Zombies"

The unfortunate part being that you'd have to watch those movies real close to see either one of the items in action.

I saw one that was used to change colors on a Christmas tree. It was little more than a slow-turning color wheel mounted to a floor-standing track light.

Seems like Kliegl advertised a color changing system comprised of a complicated array of solenoids (or possibly electromagnets).

I saw one that was used to change colors on a Christmas tree. It was little more than a slow-turning color wheel mounted to a floor-standing track light.
We had one of those when I was a kid. That wheel got hot!

The strand colour wheels had 5 positions and could be set to rotate continuously or to move to any of the five colours on command. They were the predecessor of a scroller. You could order a Strand control board to include the colour scroller controls although most times they were seprate. Strand later introduced a semaphore arm product that was noisy in operation.

"Modern" conventional colour-changers:
If I remember right, the evolution went
ColorMax (built by Wybron, sold by GAM), 1982?
ColorWiz (built by Wybron, sold by GAM), analog
The Scroller (First Wybron-branded unit), analog, 1985
The Scroller, DMX, 1987
ColoRam
ForeRunner

Meanwhile, in the UK, LSD(?)'s ColourMag, Rainbow, and Chameleon were early competitors. In 1982-3, CCT had the Colorsette, a 4-flag semaphore type changer, allowing for subtractive color mixing, but it never caught on.
You missed the Lycian indexing color wheel.

Otherwise, full marks.

ST

I believe that the wooden frames could be for something like a Linnebach projector.

The frame shown would have likely had an rainbow type of effect. (without the bow)

Linnebach Projector - ControlBooth

Actually the wooden frames are from OLD school Floods. I'm sure Derek or Ship could tell you the brand and model but I'm talking 1K's with the big bulge on the back. "sccops" as we used to call them. It's hard to see but the wooden frames actually have small wires across them to keep the gel from bowing-out and melting onto the lamp. The multicolor, as pictured, I believe would have given you a 'More color corrected' white light. If it were in a Linnebach, sure it would hae given you alternating bands of color as if it were a slide. In a flood/scoop the color mixing in the air should have caused the colors to combine to correct for the 'yellow' from a carbon tungsten filament.

the wooden frames actually have small wires across them to keep the gel from bowing-out and melting onto the lamp. The multicolor, as pictured, I believe would have given you a 'More color corrected' white light.

Is the multicolor a single piece that was factory made? or is it somehow assembled from a number of cuts?

Is the multicolor a single piece that was factory made? or is it somehow assembled from a number of cuts?

As Near as I can tell it's factory made. The clear part has ridges and all the colors are strips that have been fused. This is a Gelatin gel. it melts when wet. Here's another picture. I can't find my glasses but I think it's in focus. you can kind of see the riddes I'm talking about.
proxy.php

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/R5JCXwH6B0e9c1lCxOJ4xg?feat=directlink

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you come across a 1960 Century Lighting Catalog?

And why is it not not posted on the Wikee for the forum? (This assuming how much work in conversion I have done, send the catalogue and others you might find to me if nothing else and I will get it done.)

Effects wheel like scroll - seemingly flaking for me, and no idea. The other color wheel I just happen to have recently acquired part of one of and am working on making the rest of to be similar to your's. Kliegl in their website and other brands do list this type of accessory amongst a number or ages. There were versions - you have a wheel similar to mine in lesser versions I think. Still cool, but other wheels were doing the self type of stuff.. You got one though... that's nothing short of rare in finding an example - this especially if fitting to a fixture type.

Next step for you is figuring out what size fixture it would fit and that could be stock size or non-stock in size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back