Control/Dimming One thing I like about the ION

My current favorite little ION trick is to record focus palettes and effects to submasters & faders if possible. It makes busking a show so much easier because it allows you to use bump buttons as executors. It does require some programming though. But once it is set up with some inhibitors, it works beautifully. The best part is that you can have a cue list with intelligent lights running independently, then hijack them with subs and discreetly change something if needed. Or, you can run a whole show like that.

Also, I know this was mentioned earlier but man is discreet timing a wonderful thing. Before learning discreet timing my shows would have these ugly follow cue stacks that would be horrible to update or manipulate, but now everything is clean and there is a smaller chance of confusion.

Anyone want to sell me on using magic sheets? Maybe it's because most of the shows I do are one-offs and concerts, but I've never found them worth the amount of time it takes to set them up to my liking. Am I missing the point, or are they for people doing different things?

Magic sheets and one offs go hand in hand. I program my LEDS and movers so all their most used pallets, like focus point, gobos and colors are all accessible from a screen or two. I also make my go to effects buttons. That way if someone takes a solo I can refocus my movers to that point, change color or anything else very quickly. After the initial programming which will take a while you will find that the only thing you will need to touch is focus when either the band is set up strangely or your lights change position. Touch screens can make it easier for some people, but this works for me with a mouse.

Anyone want to sell me on using magic sheets? Maybe it's because most of the shows I do are one-offs and concerts, but I've never found them worth the amount of time it takes to set them up to my liking. Am I missing the point, or are they for people doing different things?

For conventionals ?, with a constantly changing plot, different colors, channels, etc.... maybe not worth the time spent. I have seen MS's that replicate the entire *repertory* lighting rig. It's then easy to get channels assigned and with that you have a better read on what's On, what levels, etc... One of the reasons I never went the "magic sheet as light plot" route, is without a huge monitor, it's very difficult to display the info. I want - channel, color, intensity, in or near a lighting symbol for a plot with 250 units and still be aboe to read the data. On a 17" screen it's just too cluttered and small to be useful.

Thus I'll use a more conventional LD style representational plot, when the event repeats, comes back every year, etc....

But not for one-off's, too much work.

As Lextech commented on though, for movers and LED's I have 2 basic sheets that allow busking and is the method I use to gain access to fixtures. But again, it's a rep. hang of Aura's and MAC700's and I'm not trying to swap out fixture types or positioning.

FWIW, Patrick Boozer touches on this subject a bit in his ETC Cue session video, where he talks about setting up an Eos for fixtures that might change type. He builds files with a large number of macro's that adapt readily to different events and venues. Worth watching.

http://www.etcconnect.com/About/Cue/Archived-videos.aspx

Let me clarify, I use a fader wing for conventional lights for many things. I do use a lot of groups too which allows me to change things onstage and still fit in my magic sheet and fader wing labeling. So if group 10 is top warm, I will reassign all of whatever fixtures I now have changed to that group. So 12 red fixtures become 15 orange fixtures they are still in the same place on the fader wing and in my magic sheets. Hope that makes things clearer.

One of my favourite features is the "Recall From" function. It's especially handy when you don't have an LD used to dealing with presets or movers - when they say "I want the dance hall scene from cue 48, but at night, like cue 73", roughing it in usually becomes the work of a few seconds rather than several minutes. And you can recall stuff from just about everything - as long as it was in there to begin with.

One of my favourite features is the "Recall From" function. It's especially handy when you don't have an LD used to dealing with presets or movers - when they say "I want the dance hall scene from cue 48, but at night, like cue 73", roughing it in usually becomes the work of a few seconds rather than several minutes. And you can recall stuff from just about everything - as long as it was in there to begin with.
I agree, also using it to quickly apply palettes and presets to all the lights stored in them is handy. Direct select double click.

Query. Useful in a similar manner as Recall From when trying to quickly edit a pre-made look without having to pore over designer's notes to figure out what is doing what.
Also: {Shift} {Update} :D
Unlike most consoles, I like how it immediately goes into a cue you have just recorded by default.
I could go on. I could also constructively criticize, but this is the wrong thread :)

These are some great post! A lot of idea's have been shared so far and it is educational see how everyone is using the ION.

Keep posting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back