One valedictorian's view on education.

The biggest misconception about home education is isolation. A few decades ago, there were relatively few home schools in the country without the support network. While I am still finding some of the support network here in Nevada where home education isn't as strong, in Arizona, there was a very large network. There are many support groups that are both faith based as well as secular where families are able to share resources. Some groups offer co-operative teaching while others are strictly social. I have an age gap with my children and while the oldest "graduated" and is now attending college, the others are still in elementary school. I am certain that by the time that they are in "high school", I will have again developed a network that will allow us to have similar discussion groups that you suggest (we did for our oldest, not just in one topic either). Also, since we have the internet, just like the students in public school, my children have the opportunity to discuss topics with kids from other countries (kind of like what happens on this forum).

Again, some home educators would chastise me because I am not an advocate for everyone educating their own and abolishing mandatory education. There are certainly people I know whom I wish would send their kids to school as opposed to educating them personally. However, I believe that it is the right (in the United States) for parents to choose the form of education that they feel is best suited for their children. Then again, I believe that we have a lot of different rights that I don't always agree with (yet another discussion) but I should not infringe upon them.

[MENTION=7655]DuckJordan[/MENTION], I hope you don't take this personally. We all have our opinions on these matters. What's wonderful is that we have this opportunity to discuss them, just like you did in class or people used to do in coffee houses. Trust me, I hated history class in school, but I continue to eat it up to this day. Even as a student, I found history absolutely intriguing, but I hated how it was forced to me (Ferris Bueller's teacher anyone?).

Similar to a discussion about BFA versus BA, discussion in any setting will help your brain formulate stronger bonds (memory) than simply listening just as any active participation strengthens your abilities more than simply learning theory. As has been mentioned many times, this makes it difficult to quantify, thus the politicians flounder in assessing quality. Of course, you could go with the theory that compulsory schooling is mandated to eliminate critical thinking and enslaving the general public towards serving the corporations. I'm not saying that this is where I'm coming from, but this is a theory put forth by some educators.

Ruinexplorer, I did not take it personally, unfortunately its not very prevalent here in South Dakota for support networks to form between home educators, so that is where my understanding came from. although i did find the whole "down with the corporation" thing extremely funny, I actually laughed a little on the outside, it reminded me of how much we are becoming exactly what we were fighting just ten years ago. So I will take your word that there are ways for parents to home educate and still provide a social community for which to provide their children with education in social skills. I still have a few questions about home education but i will IM you for that as I feel it would easily take this subject and hijack to a completely different realm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back