Online Degree?

So here's a question for the masses...

Does anyone know of an online degree program for technical theatre? Now, I realize that a HUGE portion of learning in this industry involves hands-on experience. I have been in verious scene shops, backstage, and in the booth for the past 15 years now, but never completed the BFA that I began way back when. Fortunately, it hasn't come into too much of an issue...I have been happily employed for more than a decade with no problem. The issue is, I would eventually like to move into the academic world and teach at the HS or college level and need a degree to do so. Getting into a traditional program in the area wouldn't be a problem...however, giving up a salary that goes a long way to supporting my family would. So, does anyone know if there are any programs available, and if they would even be remotely worthwhile?

Cheers.

You would be better off contacting the university that you got the degree from and seeing if you can do some type of remote learning thing with them. Any place that is offering an online BA, BS, or god forbid a BFA in technical production would not be worth the paper it is printed on.

On that note though, most University's have "resident artists" positions for this exact thing. The secondary school market is a bit harder nut to crack. They are going to want to see that piece of paper... and usually after you have been working for 5 years they want to see a masters. Because of the teacher crisis, many states did open up their certifications a bit to allow people with non teaching degrees a chance to teach, but even the "alternative paths" require some form of a degree.

Now the million dollar question, why do you want to teach? If you think it will be less hours, more steady, and better pay then the real world you really need to take another look at this. Academia pays little and you get little time off. Yes, you get summers off but those are usually spent either getting professional credits towards tenor or taking classes for more certifications. Teaching and doing a full production load leaves little time to do much of anything else. The one year I spent in academia a 60 to 80 hour week was not uncommon... and you don't qualify for overtime.

You might want to check out what Pacific Lutheran University and University of Puget Sound have to offer. Both are fine schools in your backyard. I know PLU has a theater degree program. Not only that, but they will have a new theater facility next fall. Full disclosure, I work for PLU although my job is unrelated and not supported by the academic programs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back