Operating Budgets

sdauditorium

I'm an auditorium director at a community/school auditorium. I was just curious to see what other similar facilities had in terms of supply budgets.

The school district actually allocates $2500 a year from the general fund to be used towards any "supplies". This is use it or lose it money that we can't carry over year-to-year, so we have to spend it (which I have no qualms about doing). This is where I pull from for mics, sound equipment, stock gel, tape, etc.).

For musical productions through the school, I have it set up where any show-specific consummables (fog, pyro, streamers/confetti, gel, gobos) comes from their own separate activity account and not against my $2500.

However, we also have a separate community auditorium fund that is where profits from community shows and sponsorships and donations go. This balance carries forward year-to-year and we use this for procuring performers/shows, advertising, etc.).

It works out amazingly well, considering we don't have to pay for electricity, heating/cooling, and school maintenance takes care of daily cleaning and repairs.

What's everyone else's situation?

Main venue allocates about $2k per play and about $3k per musical total budget, with a $1-2k budget for progress upgrades (bringing cable to code, currently).

But each year since I've been there we've been able to do one or two big projects, my first year they redid the roof for some ungodly amount of money and we bought safety chains, second year they finished the roof and we spent $20k on a lighting upgrade (fixtures and board), this year we are building a new sound system for $4k.

What's a budget?

About the only thing I can budget for, amounts to asking the producer how much she has available on her Home Depot card.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back