oversized router bearings

bobgaggle

I'm building some flats with irregular curves and have run into a problem. The facing (luan) needs to overhang the framing by about an inch, maybe 3/4". When the flat is placed against an existing wall, rope light will be run along the edge to create a glow around the perimeter of the flat, and the overhung luan will hide the rope light from direct audience view. If this was a standard flat i wouldn't have an issue, and would just cut the luan an inch wider before stapling to the frame, but because these are irregular curves I was planning to run ply through the bandsaw to get the shape i need and use that for the framing. It would be awesome if I could use a piloted bit to route the luan to match the curve of the ply under it, but that would require a bearing over 2 inches wide. I've only looked on Grizzly's website and they dont have anything. Anyone know where I can find something like this?

maybe other construction methods?

An alternative might be to tack a couple layers of 3/8" bending ply onto the frame and route the skin to that, then remove. Would have the added benefit of smoothing out any roughness in the frame cutout.

An alternative might be to tack a couple layers of 3/8" bending ply onto the frame and route the skin to that, then remove. Would have the added benefit of smoothing out any roughness in the frame cutout.

Yeah - I thought about that too. Wondered if you could craft a round wood disk that sort of press fit over the bearing so it can slide or turn at it's own speed against the frame and the axle spins in the bearing. Same concept - basically a shim or spacer to allow use of a standard bearing.

BUT WAIT! google "router bearings" and find what was asked for! Bearings and Rub Collars - Rub Collars Who'd a thunk to google?

I swear if people would just google their question before asking, we'd cut the number of posts in half. (Not that Dave thinks that's such a great idea.)

Another - first might be more for shaper but this would work. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2005145/6976/woodriver-router-bit-bearing-kit.aspx

Thanks for the replies, yes I should have googled. But I like the idea of adding the bendy to the frame then removing after the luan is trimmed. saves me from buying a $30 bearing i probably wont use again.

... I swear if people would just google their question before asking, we'd cut the number of posts in half. (Not that Dave thinks that's such a great idea.) ...
I dunno... much of the time when I google something technical threatre-related, one of the top hits is a Control Booth thread. Vicious circle. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back