Painting (and repainting) with glitter?

MarshallPope

I am working on paint elevations for an upcoming show, and had an idea that I am trying to ascertain the feasibility of. Is there a glitter-like product that can be applied to a painted surface, and then easily painted over? I would like to add sparkle to the deck, but I don't want the glitter to haunt us for years.

I suppose another option would be to coke the deck after painting and add glitter to that, and then hopefully mop the glitter up before repainting black.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marshall

Depending on the amount of surface area you have to cover, you may need a sacrificial cover of some sort -- 1/8" masonite, or even a groundcloth that you can staple down, then remove once the show's over.

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just forego glitter and experiment with some sort of textured gloss coat on the deck. It would be the entire stage, and covering that is not worth it. I'm considering trying out a metallic paint in a hudson sprayer to see what that does.

I am working on paint elevations for an upcoming show, and had an idea that I am trying to ascertain the feasibility of. Is there a glitter-like product that can be applied to a painted surface, and then easily painted over? I would like to add sparkle to the deck, but I don't want the glitter to haunt us for years.

I suppose another option would be to coke the deck after painting and add glitter to that, and then hopefully mop the glitter up before repainting black.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marshall

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marshall
If you first paint with a heavy gloss, then add white glue, and sprinkle the glitter over the white glue, it will rub off pretty easily and you can repaint per normal.

That's what I was afraid of. Maybe I'll just forego glitter and experiment with some sort of textured gloss coat on the deck. It would be the entire stage, and covering that is not worth it. I'm considering trying out a metallic paint in a hudson sprayer to see what that does.

Depending on the metallic paint you are using, some tend to run thin and if you water it down to get it through a hudson, it's unlikely it'll have enough saturation to get the effect you want. You'd be better off spattering.

Im not sure how 'glittery' you want the deck, but my wife glitter painted a few walls in our house, all she did was by a complimentary colored glitter to the wall paint color and mix it into the wet paint before applying it. Worked great and no glittery mess!

Im not sure how 'glittery' you want the deck, but my wife glitter painted a few walls in our house, all she did was by a complimentary colored glitter to the wall paint color and mix it into the wet paint before applying it. Worked great and no glittery mess!

The problem is in the future when you go to repaint it. The giltter will work itself loose and come up to the top of the surface, especially on a high traffic surface like a stage floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back