Painting the stage floor- What sealant would you put on top?

Hello!

I am looking to paint my stage floor for an upcoming production of Tuck Everlasting. I am want to add some intricate detailing at the front of the stage. What would you seal it with? I have to use Home Depot due to educational purchase orders.

They have a clear water- based polyester that works well. We mix a little of it with the colored paint when we do our floors.

HD sells Rust-Oleum Parks Pro Finish water based poly. About $60/gal, good for mixing or top coating. I've also used it in a more "as directed" manner on floors in my home and it has performed well.

HD sells Rust-Oleum Parks Pro Finish water based poly. About $60/gal, good for mixing or top coating. I've also used it in a more "as directed" manner on floors in my home and it has performed well.
Would you recommend mixing it in for the base coat and then doing a thin layer as a top coating?

It depends on what you're trying to do. I have used the product Colin references as a glaze medium, and extender, and a topcoat all depending on the finish.

For example, if I'm doing wood grain, I'll mix 1 part paint with 4 parts of the water based poly (flat or satin) and 4 parts water for the topcoat that sets the grain and board lines back in and then I'll go over the whole floor area with whatever sheen I want the wood to be.

Just note that when you paint over the floor again after the show, if you're limited to HD products, that you'll need to prime the floor and then go back over with black. Even the top line paint at HD won't hold up to foot traffic placed directly over a poly top coat.

It depends on what you're trying to do. I have used the product Colin references as a glaze medium, and extender, and a topcoat all depending on the finish.

For example, if I'm doing wood grain, I'll mix 1 part paint with 4 parts of the water based poly (flat or satin) and 4 parts water for the topcoat that sets the grain and board lines back in and then I'll go over the whole floor area with whatever sheen I want the wood to be.

Just note that when you paint over the floor again after the show, if you're limited to HD products, that you'll need to prime the floor and then go back over with black. Even the top line paint at HD won't hold up to foot traffic placed directly over a poly top coat.
What primer do you recommend?

What primer do you recommend?
The best primer is Rosco Tough Prime...so much so I'd almost tell you it's worth it to try and get a theatrical supplier on your approved vendors list.

Barring that, most any water based primer will do the trick. They're designed to cling into surfaces and give your black top coat a better chance at holding up.

I exclusively repaint my deck 5-6 times a year with the Tough Prime and it hasn't failed me yet, regardless of what I paint over with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back