Microphones Painting Wireless Microphone Cables

Hi all,
I am running sound for a show that is using four Countryman Isomax headset microphones. The show is very physical, and thankfully the microphones are built to take it. The problem I am having, however, is that the cables for the microphones are black, which shows up far too much on the four fair-skinned actresses wearing them. I have attempted to use a skin-tone spray paint, but since the cables move and rub around during the course of the show, it is just cracking off of the cables. I would appreciate any advice on other methods of getting the cables to be skin-tone, while still allowing them to be flexible enough to move with the actresses.

This is a tough one...usually what is done is lighter colored elements are darkened with markers and so forth. That said, I have seen black cords colored with what I think is either nail polish or makeup...you might give them a try.

Ballet shoe paint is great - I've used it a number of times. It does wear off, but we did a 12-week run in summer and I think we repainted the cables once - and that was with some seriously sweaty actors and dancers. I would imagine most dance shops will sell it - I got it from our wardrobe department who had boxes of the stuff.

Too bad you didn't get beige ...

If it's not too uncomfortable, you could also try covering the cords with Nexcare transparent tape and then have the actors put their makeup on over the tape.

I think there are better solutions already in the thread, but latex paint would probably flex better. I marked some cheap XLR cables with latex paint a while back when I was in a hurry, and it flexed fine with the cable.

Just buy new performance cables for $50 a pop, and keep the black ones for use during rehearsals.

You're not gonna get Countryman for $50/ea. Try $150/ea. :) Sorry!

These guys are the ones that are being used on Broadway today:
-Copic Origional Markers
-Letraset Tria Markers
-Pantone Universe Twin Markers

Never use a sharpie!! When its gets wet with sweat, the chemical reaction(who knows which ones) turns the wire blue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back