pairing up different lights

AlexD

Im not sure on this one and don't really want to learn by doing and end up braking a bulb when i can just ask and find out. Basically i'm wanting to pair up a 1k flood with a par56, will the power the 1k is pulling go to the par56 and blow it?

Im not sure on this one and don't really want to learn by doing and end up braking a bulb when i can just ask and find out. Basically i'm wanting to pair up a 1k flood with a par56, will the power the 1k is pulling go to the par56 and blow it?

How are you pairing them up? With a two-fer?

Voltage and Wattage are independent of each other. I think what was being asked is if the lamps were 120 volt or 240 volt.

In either case, if you were to parallel two fixtures, one being 1000 watts, and the other being 300 watts via a two-fer, they would work just fine. (assuming the lamps were both 120 volt or 240 volt*)

If your dimmer output is 240 volts, and your lamps are 240 volts, you are fine.
If your dimmer output is 120 volts, and your lamps are 120 volts, you are fine.

The only time wattage becomes an issue is if your dimmer output is 240 volts and you are trying to run two 120 volt lamps by putting them in series. In that case, they would need to be exactly the same.

* 120/240 is a rarely that! A "120 volt" source may be anything from 110 to 130 volts (sometimes even wider!), a "240 volt" source may be anything from 220 to 260 volts. All depends on what your electric company feels like giving you!) (Also, not to be confused with the whole "208" thing.) Here in the US, lamps are often made in 115 volt versions and 120 volt versions. This allows the user to match to what is available. Also, better dimmers allow you to do a bit of voltage regulation to prevent the output voltage from exceeding a certain level, as well as compensate for voltage sag, up to the available line voltage.

... Basically i'm wanting to pair up a 1k flood with a par56, will the power the 1k is pulling go to the par56 and blow it?
No the power won't "go to the lower wattage lamp" and hurt it. If you can plug in either one by itself, plugging them both together with a grelco is not a problem, provided the sum of both wattages does not overload the circuit.

A grelco is, in fact, a unique to Britland device which us US-ians would call a two-fer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back