Panel mic?

EustaceM

The com system I use is TELEX MS-2002 2-channels

I was wondering what is a panel mic and what is it used for.

I was also hoping If i can connect the director headset (the one that is plugged in the front of it) to a soundboard so I can speak to my actors on stage during tech without switching back and forth with a god mic. So basically is there a way to make my headset function like a god mic?

It's an optional gooseneck mic to use (with a built-in speaker the icom station probably has) in place of a headset. It's often used in sound-isolated control rooms, usually by a TV director, where the additional freedom is convenient and there isn't a need to be quiet.

The Clear-Com main station we had in high school came with the panel mic and also a "Stage Announce" button and associated output, useful as a God mic. I'm not sure if that Telex station is that way or not.

We have the 4 channel version at my high school's television studio. The PA button is meant to act as a stage announce, you can wire it to a speaker and probably also to the input of a sound console by putting an XLR on the end of the cable, I've never tried so you'd have to look at the pinout to find exactly what you need.

One thing with that unit, assuming it's the same as the 4 channel one, is that if you want to use the PA function or send program audio into your telex system you have to wire it in via a 9 pin (i may be wrong about the number of pins check the manual) connector that looks like an RS-232. What you're asking about can be easily done if you know how to work with basic electrical circuits, just make sure you check the manual for your unit so you know the pinout and other important details.

We have the 4 channel version at my high school's television studio. The PA button is meant to act as a stage announce, you can wire it to a speaker and probably also to the input of a sound console by putting an XLR on the end of the cable, I've never tried so you'd have to look at the pinout to find exactly what you need.

One thing with that unit, assuming it's the same as the 4 channel one, is that if you want to use the PA function or send program audio into your telex system you have to wire it in via a 9 pin (i may be wrong about the number of pins check the manual) connector that looks like an RS-232. What you're asking about can be easily done if you know how to work with basic electrical circuits, just make sure you check the manual for your unit so you know the pinout and other important details.
According to the MS-2002 manual (http://www.telex.com/us/intercom/file?i=97096&lg=eng) the DB9 connector your reference is shown to be used for Program Audio inputs, however the Master Station does support the same PA Output functionality via a dedicated 3.5mm TRS connection that you wire for unbalanced audio (see Page 8 and "PA Output" on Page 16 of the manual).

So all you should need to do is find or make a cable that goes from tip (+) and sleeve (ground) of a 3.5mm stereo jack to whatever input you want to use on the console. Then push and hold down the "PA" button on the front of the Telex Master Station when you want to make an announcement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back