PAR, ACL, and PAR Can invention

...Side notes, the modern PAR 64 did come from a ColorTran fixture as used during a show in burning thru gel, - Nook chated with the inventor as mentioned in a PLSN article he wrote a few months ago. ...
Link to the article in question. I don't know if by "Nook chated with the inventor" you mean Bob See, Chip Monck, Howard Ungerleider, or another unidentified individual but... I challenge anyone to produce verifiable PROOF (such as a printed catalog or brochure) of a mass-produced theatrical luminaire using a PAR64 lamp and having a yoke and colorframe holder distanced from the lamp, prior to 1960.

From US Patent US3116022.pdf, filed May 26 1960:
... Another object of the invention is to provide a spotlight casing for supporting a sealed beam lamp and maintaining at a proper operating temperature by circulation of air therethrough to thereby provide long lamp life with the casing having no light leaks.

EDIT: Another thing--in the article, Nook writes:
Thus the infamous 4-light bar of ACLs was born. Eventually people used brighter 600-watt versions of the lamp. For some reason, these lamps never flashed on as quickly as the 250-watt ones, thus they never became the norm in concert lighting.
I think most everyone here could explain to Mr. Schoenfeld the reason why a 600W lamp doesn't have the same reaction time as a 250W one.

Last edited:
EDIT: Another thing--in the article, Nook writes:

I think most everyone here could explain to Mr. Schoenfeld the reason why a 600W lamp doesn't have the same reaction time as a 250W one.

Nook knows his lighting stuff and cut his teeth on lighting tech to an extent he has even helped me trouble shoot problems in the past. I believe he was in the above quote capturing a learning process the industry went thru at the time before he was even designing - he was a lighting tech for SeeFactor amongst other places. (Not sure which people he was quoting in other questions above.) Bigger, better, brighter and the 600w lamp is useful and better for that, but with time the 250w version for it's application has shown to be more useful both for wiring and flashing.

On the other hand in pattent research-posted here for student research onto the subject.

Pattents:
#1,894,462 by C.L. Davis in 1929, some interesting stuff about low voltage lighting and reflectorized focused globes.
#616,620 by H.F. Joel & F. Fanta in 1898 - basically the invention of an R-Lamp or silver bowl lamp - dependant on reflector coating.
#250,227 by E.M. Fox shows a reflectorized carbon filament vacuum lamp.
#1,800,926 by J.L. Baird from 1929 shows some T-Type tube type lamps with internal reflectors which could have been really useful if adopted for theater back than for it's equipment.
#2,199,014 by C.M. Stitt from 1937 the PAR Can and PAR lamp for all intensive purposes but with a removable lens and changable inner lamp and a bit more focused beam. (More of a car headlight fixture and I have seen many car headlights in resale shops recently incuding some Model T versions.)
#4,182,970 by John M.Putz, from 1980. Flament shields for PAR Lamps. (Filament shields were already on the market by than, but this was an improvement on it.)
#2,876,375 by C.R. Marsh, from 1953. Filament shield in various designs for a PAR lamp in direct light focused thru the filament shield.

Other research from the Kliegl website:
-Kliegl catalogue #TV-6, 1960. "A newly designed striplight created for use where a minimum height is required. It uses 150w or 300w R-40 flood lamps. (Basically the modern cyc light strip.)
-Kliegl catalogue #A-11, 1955. PAR 38 Downlights and baffled ceiling cans for install. (Basically a PAR Can- even if more of a ceiling can for use.)
-Kliegl catalogue #Q-8, 1965. The PAR Can shaped Kliegsun Quartz fixture with a 1Kw lamp. (Not a lot of notes in the catalogue, but I think the for them at least first mention of a 1Kw PAR 64 lamp and fixture.)
-Kliegl catalogue #30, 1936. Alzark reflectors for boarder lights and roundells.

Research into Daniel K. Wright:
The person that did sealed beam (ACL lamps) and tungsten powder so as to clean lamp globes (later silica sand to scrub the globe from blackening.) 1931 this tungsten powder to scrub lamp globes, Pattent #1,809,661. Pattent #1,967,852 - 1934 and #2,069,638 - 1938 for the bi-post lamp invention. Following this, sealed beam lamp pattents #2,148,314 and 2,148,315 for car headlights. Shows for all intensive purposes a 500w PAR WFL lamp for modern design of how it's done in cut glass or filament.

Other notes while in research, this time Strand Arcive:
The Patt #76 from Strand as an acting area flood light is while globe lamp in use with reflector, for all intensive purposes in shape/style at least a PAR can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back