Parametric Grapher for Android?

Galen

Light designer here asking for my sound engineer, so be gentle...

We run a small house that sees many touring concerts. A handful of audio technicians who have come through have had parametric graphic equalizers on tablets to get an easier handle on how to EQ to our house. What's the go-to app for that on Android?

All of them I have seen sync to the hardware you are using, usually the sound board. The app is specific to the device.

What mixer are you using?

Any computer software involved in the sound chain?

The app has to match whatever hardware is actually doing the equalization. They were controlling a digital console or speaker processor, for example a Behringer X32 or a dbx DriveRack. Those products have proprietary apps for remote control.

Haha well we're still rocking the Allen & Heath ML 5000 so I guess that's out the door for now. Our benefactors have agreed to upgrade us soon though!

Ahhh. Just realized that you were probably referring to a spectrum analyzer. If you search the app store there are lots of options. I haven't used them personally, but I'll bet others out there have.

Ahhh. Just realized that you were probably referring to a spectrum analyzer. If you search the app store there are lots of options. I haven't used them personally, but I'll bet others out there have.
Thank you! Sorry, I should've been more clear about our rig, but as a non-sound I guess I didn't think about how to say it!

Hopefully your sound guy/girl knows this, but the "mics" used in mobile devices (tablet or phone) are usually not up to the job for this. I've tried a few apps with my iPad 3 and LG G2 and when using a frequency generator it's been close but never exact enough for me to wanna throw out an actual meter. And those db meter apps...well my G2 Mic stops at about 93 db...

It works in a pinch, but I would avoid it if possible. Your mileage may vary.

I agree, the app dB meters don't work for me very well. Using a dB meter or spectrum analyzer app - would an external microphone help at all?

I suppose a good mic / interface and app combo would probably approach the price of a basic stand-alone unit anyway.

We've certainly got enough equipment in-theatre that he can probably pop an external mic on it... the question is whether Samsung will comply

Hopefully your sound guy/girl knows this, but the "mics" used in mobile devices (tablet or phone) are usually not up to the job for this. I've tried a few apps with my iPad 3 and LG G2 and when using a frequency generator it's been close but never exact enough for me to wanna throw out an actual meter. And those db meter apps...well my G2 Mic stops at about 93 db...

It works in a pinch, but I would avoid it if possible. Your mileage may vary.

It all depends on the phone, I've heard a lot of people on the iphone side say that they are pretty accurate (iPhones are usually 1-2 generations ahead of iPad for things like mics and cameras). My DB meter apps have showed a little over 108DB, not sure if they would go higher or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back