pc help me!!

I encountered a similar dilemma back in the fall when I had to run sound(scene change music) for my schools play. We were playing with the idea of using my pc's digital out, but couldn't figure out how to use the digital in's in our board (TT24). We ended up getting a Whirlwind PC-DI box to run the sign from the headphone jack to the PC-DI to left and right XLR. The show went well and we have used it many times since then, including many dance shows, and the many times when people give us their iPod at the last second. Sounds just great!

Last edited by a moderator:
We were playing with the idea of using my pc's digital out, but couldn't figure out how to use the digital in's in our board (TT24). We ended up getting a Whirlwind PC-DI box to run the sign from the headphone jack to the PC-DI to left and right XLR.
*facepalm*

So you spent $130 on a box instead of asking us and spending maybe $10 on a cable...

Well, as long as it works...

You could use xlr to rca adaptors and an rca to 3.5mm cables. That seems to work quite well
Maybe on Mars, where line inputs and mic inputs are completely interchangeable...

Of course that doesn't mean it won't work, but putting a line input into a mic preamp is generally considered a bad idea. When it does work properly, it'll be running so hot that you'll have no headroom with the fader.

If you want to do this, either pick up a DI box such as the one that techfreek posted, or use a 20dB in-line attenuator to bring the signal down to mic level so the signal is workable. (I think it's 20dB, someone correct me if I'm wrong...)

Last edited by a moderator:
So you spent $130 on a box instead of asking us and spending maybe $10 on a cable...

I understand how that sounds. Also the PC-DI box is better for our space because we can use it in more applications. The reason why we thought about using the digital is because the pc we were using (my own personal computer) would be in for the show, and at no other times. With the box we can use it for all sorts of things, we have it set up so when one of the dance companies comes, they plug directly into the box which is on the desk (they run the sound from a laptop) or when we are given an ipod, with the cable we couldn't do that.

I understand how that sounds. Also the PC-DI box is better for our space because we can use it in more applications. The reason why we thought about using the digital is because the pc we were using (my own personal computer) would be in for the show, and at no other times. With the box we can use it for all sorts of things, we have it set up so when one of the dance companies comes, they plug directly into the box which is on the desk (they run the sound from a laptop) or when we are given an ipod, with the cable we couldn't do that.

No no, I understand why you were using it, and it's a good solution, just the way you worded it made me laugh :D

As far as the digital inputs on the tt24 go, have you figured them out? I would get into it here, but I don't really feel like sending the on-topic train off the rails, so how about starting a new thread if you haven't.

The PC DI is actually a great thing to have around. If they ever need to run a laptop, iPod, acoustic guitar, etc. from stage then they'll have a way to balance the signal and send it down the multicore. There is also a ground lift, and (if I remember correctly) a pad.

Maybe on Mars, where line inputs and mic inputs are completely interchangeable...

Many consoles (albeit not the OP's) have pads on the inputs.

As far as the digital inputs on the tt24 go, have you figured them out? I would get into it here, but I don't really feel like sending the on-topic train off the rails, so how about starting a new thread if you haven't.
I agree. I won't go any more off topic then by saying, I have learned a lot more about the board (we got it 2 months before then and never were really trained on it), I have yet to learn the digital ins, but the need has not arisen yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back