Pen you use

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
For me the pen I have is important as I think crap anything that's like less than .7 in width and thus quality in seeing what I'm writing. Mine these days a black painted though more with wear brass pen from Parker that's wide ball and have to pull the cap to use style. Hate clicker type pens, this much less a normal bic style width of ink in use. Used to love similar Parker more store bought pull cap pens but rare to find in going cusion grip as most norma good pens. Never got into the comfort grip.

Hate the us of crap pens, just no use for them. But in my back pocket it is a Sharpee and pen always. Either the Parker or the Ushio swag pen of late of similar quality. Think its been since like '86 I last used other than a wide ball or at least medium roller ball pen.

This a normal thing for my liking a wider flow of ink and better quality of pen? Others perfer a quality pen?

Heck, even for hand drafting, I have this steel drafting pencil which is heavy to hold but I prefer over any normal plastic pencil - this even over those I used as a Freshmen in Highschool back in '82 I still have, use and only added to.

Last edited:
I am a Parker fan as well. However, I usually just buy the stainless steel Parker Jotter, since it is cheap ($10) and quite sturdy, as I tend to either lose them or abuse the crap out of them, and these can take it.

My current favorite is the Zebra F-701. It's about 6 dollars from any office supply store. Made of stainless steel, it feels indestructible. Anything from the Zebra F series is good (the only one I haven't tried is the 402). They're all stainless steel and have very good ink. With the 701 you can replace the ink cartridge with one from the Fisher Space Pen (thats on my list of to do's. They also have mechanical pencils with similar construction (the M-301 I believe).

At home it's all Cross. I like thin pens. On the street I like Pilot G2. I have a habit of putting them in my mouth and if I drop them on the floor or ground, welll, they go in the garbage.

I would like to have a vintage Waterman from the 1930s. Some collectible ones can run to the thousands of dollars.

Three Sharpies on me at all times. Two are standard marker type, one in black and one in blue. I have a blue "dull" sharpie and a black "sharp" sharpie. The third is the "extra fine" variety in black for paperwork/writing on skinny board tape / service notes etc. I have a throwaway ball pin in my kit that I rarely use and a selection of throw-away pens in my clipboard for myself/clients to use on general paperwork.

Generally, I just use whatever's at hand, mostly pens I've picked up at conventions. That said, with the problems I've been having with my hand and wrist for the last year affecting my ability to maintain a grip, I've developed a preference for pens with a larger diameter. They're much less painful for me to use.

I almost always have a Delta Elite ballpoint in my right front pocket.

I bought a set of 2 about 3 years ago, amazingly I still have both.
(it seems that if your pens look expensive they get returned)

Blue Pilot G2 .07 Just over a buck a peice so I am not crying when I loose them.

I can't stand sharpies for anything but labeling, anything detailed looks terrible.

Lately I've been using two Acme Designer Line pens I got from my work. They're heavy, but with the .7 insert it's nice. I surprisingly haven't lost them yet. Mostly because they sell for $80 each but I got them for free :)

For sharpies I LOVE the double tip sharpies. I've got a whole bunch of them in different colors. It's nice not to have to carry a fine and an ultra fine marker around... just one will do.

Being a lefty, the way I write, everything smudges, I found the Pentel Energel to be the best for my everyday/work writing needs, 0.5mm, so wonderfully smooth (they also come in 0.7). I buy them in bulk now. Sharpie pens also work very well for me, but I haven't found them in the color I write checks in yet.

For special occasians/home office use I like my Cross pens, 2 rollerballs 0.7 mm and 1 gel roller ball.

Last edited:
I actually have a new pen I was given as a gift by the s/o, it's the Retro 1951 Tornado (solid black), that I really like as a letter and desk pen, very smooth, mine is 0.7 but I believe you can get refills in 0.5 too. It's a very solid pen, unfortunately a bit too pricey for me to carry around all the time.

For anyone like me that likes a good fountain pen, they have some that look good as well.

Anywho, Retro Front if you want to check them out.

+1 for the Pentel Energel, I use the 0.7 myself. Very smooth, no smudge, relatively cheap when bought in bulk.
Being a lefty, the way I write, everything smudges, I found the Pentel Energel to be the best for my everyday/work writing needs, 0.5mm, so wonderfully smooth (they also come in 0.7). I buy them in bulk now. Sharpie pens also work very well for me, but I haven't found them in the color I write checks in yet.

For special occasians/home office use I like my Cross pens, 2 rollerballs 0.7 mm and 1 gel roller ball.

I have at least one Pilot V5 on me at all times, and usually two.
I absolutely love them, which is usually how I end up destroying them. I always try to use them to stab small holes in things or to get a start on opening boxes. It works for a while until I break them.

Last edited:
Noting some pencils above I think, my favorite pencils - before I got into inking my drawings, was a I think .3 Pentel that I used for 4h layout and bought back in like 1982. Very light weight and proper for layout lines. Second favorite is the steel I think Koi-Nor .5 pencil I used normally for like #B o 2B lead in finilizing my drawings. Heavy pencil and heavy lead. I loved the added weight of the pencil in finilizing my drawings. This given I went to inking my drawings instead of going to AutoCadd in being left behind by technology. Some great inked drawings but now left almost 20 years behind in following up with training in like Auto Cadd reliece#12. One of them things I will get back to one of these days.

Last edited:
Pilot G2 in funky colors (pink, purple, teal, brown)
Click Sharpies

Watersoluble colored pencils for sketching/painting

Wacom Intuos for everything digital (mouse and drawing/painting)

Sarasa Zebra 0.7
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back