Performance rights for music

MisterTim

What laws are there relating to playing music in the theatre? Or, more specifically, what about dance shows? You know, the type where you get 25 different CDs from different people for their own dance. I'm sure they did not get rights to use that music prior, but I don't know if it's actually illegal or not.

We're in a transitional management time, so it's a good (read: easier to change things without people getting mad) time to crack down on this type of stuff. Can someone point me to resources for exactly what we are and aren't allowed to do with music in our venue?

Well that basically told me what I already knew, that I should be talking to the district lawyer about what exactly we can and can't do. :rolleyes: I was just, you know, looking for the elusive magic internet answer instead of taking the hard route.

Unfortunatly this is just another unavailable magic internet answer, Without being a lawyer, and without knowing all your local laws, and codes none of us can give you a definate answer. My personal Policy is if don't see rights in writing for the specific performance, It doesn't play period. Any profesional theater group or dance group will obtain performance rights or a blanket right.

Unfortunatly this is just another unavailable magic internet answer, Without being a lawyer, and without knowing all your local laws, and codes none of us can give you a definate answer. My personal Policy is if don't see rights in writing for the specific performance, It doesn't play period. Any profesional theater group or dance group will obtain performance rights or a blanket right.

I would really love to implement this, but i'm 99% sure that'd mean no more dance shows, in which case the community might shoot me...

The US Copyright website will provide you with plenty of information.

Coincidentally, New York Times magazine (9/8/10) just had an interesting article on the subject (that is, playing recorded music publicly without obtaining permission).

As I understand it, BMI and ASCAP are the two main (maybe only) "clearinghouses" for music rights. Check the BMI website first. One obtains an annual license from one or the other and it gives the license holder the rights for the organizations music. The fee varies.

Joe

The best place to go for information is ASCAP, SEASAC and BMI themselves. They can license you for the year for a flat rate based on amount of performances and seating capacity...if you/the venue dont want to cover the expenses you can request that your dance groups contact ASCAP, SEASAC and BMI and pay for their rights themselves.

I would really love to implement this, but i'm 99% sure that'd mean no more dance shows, in which case the community might shoot me...
What you do is your choice but that would probably not be a viable defense for violating the law. And consider that if you get caught it could mean no more shows of any kind as the penalties can be quite high.

gafftaper provided this source if information, The Law Offices of Gordon P. Firemark, in another copyright discussion. The links along the right address a number of relevant topics and also link to other sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back