Phosphorescent Scenery

OK... I'm directing the Hobbit next year, and due to our 1 backdrop, I have to get creative. I usually go for using the cyc and having a single location, or using the Black Out to change to a second location... However, I would like to paint a generic "valley" scene on it then paint over it in black-light paint for Golum's cave/ King Under the Mountain's Hall (Smaug's crib) the My worry is that if the sky is painted with too light of paint, it will phosphoresce too. How can I minumize the main colors to get that duality?

Anyone ever try something like this?

Use Ellipsoidal with R80 Gives the black light feel and gives you control of where the light spills, also doesn't make everything glow. at least that's what I would do.

Another option might be to paint the front scene with a thin water base paint, and paint the back with something more opaque. Front light for one scene and backlight for the other, which would allow a nice black/grey scale silhouette to appear.

Put sunscreen on whatever you don't want to 'pop' under the black light. Learned that trick from watching Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge, but I've never tried it personally.

Use Ellipsoidal with R80 Gives the black light feel and gives you control of where the light spills, also doesn't make everything glow. at least that's what I would do.
Wait, what? Surely R80 doesn't create black light? Have I been missing this my whole career?

Put sunscreen on whatever you don't want to 'pop' under the black light. Learned that trick from watching Jim Henson's Creature Shop Challenge, but I've never tried it personally.

I just picked that up too! They said that and everybody in the room watching went... "That makes perfect sense!" And the we all filed it away for future reference.

Via tapatalk

This conversation has split into two parts. 1 part is trying to use actual UV to illuminate paint on a backdrop that isn't visible the rest of the time, and the other part is trying to create a "UV look"

Sent from my SPH-L720

Remember that you actually get what you pay for. A sheet of R80 or the Apollo equivalent @ $5.99 will give you a saturated blue wash. True 365nm wavelength will provide minimal visable light while emphasizing the effect of the UV wavelength. There are many DJ type 'blacklight' fixtures for rent that will get you closer to this desired effect than gel will be able-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back