Photometrics Worksheet

ScottT

Lighting Programmer
Got my copy of the Photometrics Handbook yesterday, and was kinda disappointed at the lack of some of the information in it. Seeing as I have a bunch of free time in the next few weeks I was wondering if anyone would be interested in what would basically be a digital version? The Photometrics Spreadsheet if you will.

I was thinking with DMX addresses for toys and intelligent fixtures as well as all the photometrics data (duh).

I know Derek has his excellent worksheet for ETC fixtures, but this would include as many fixtures as people think is necessary.

Anyone interested?

Very interested would these just be added pages? like they give the format out to in the back, I find that more and more I reference the book when specing lights and keep running across fixtures that aren't referenced.

A google spreadsheet would be great for this, you could leave it open for a period of time to let everyone with the link collaborate on it to help build it, then lock it down so only you can edit it later so no one does any malicious damage later on.

Can you post it as a "plain .xls" document so even us luddites can view it? (Yes, I have newer versions of Office, but I hate them, and will not use them unless absolutely forced to.)

[-]Here it is on Google Docs.[/-] (I know the link won't work) I'll put the link back, when there is a better version available.
http://google.com
Only I can edit the Google Doc, but if you want, i can change that.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. ScottT, a couple of thoughts:
1. Add color frame size.
2. How (if) are you going to deal with non-standard/alternate lamps in the same fixture?
3. Some GUI improvement needed. Most users want to know how bright and what size pool at any given distance; fixture size, weight, etc. are secondary or not given any consideration at all.
4. You'll find when you get into moving lights and LEDs, so much of the photometric data is just not available.
5. Dates of manufacture, though next to impossible, would be so very useful to lighting historians.
6. What, no ETC Fresnel?;)

I look forward to seeing this project develop.

N.B.: I use the iPhone app PocketLD for most things now, but I do miss seeing the raw data/calculations and the lack of some of the information above.

Last edited:
1. Add color frame size.
2. How (if) are you going to deal with non-standard/alternate lamps in the same fixture?
3. Some GUI improvement needed. Most users want to know how bright and what size pool at any given distance; fixture size, weight, etc. are secondary or not given any consideration at all.
4. You'll find when you get into moving lights and LEDs, so much of the photometric data is just not available.
5. Dates of manufacture, though next to impossible, would be so very useful to lighting historians.
6. What, no ETC Fresnel?;)

1. Added. Although my only reference right now is the second edition of the Photometrics Handbook so if anyone has datasheets or information on fixtures that are incomplete send em to me!
2. Added correction factors in the calculations. The problem now is that you have to know the correction factor for a specific instrument. Maybe I'll add another few columns, I'm not sure yet.
3. Move some stuff around...
4. I've looked at some of the LED stuff and the datasheets aren't very helpful. I'm sure they have this information somewhere - will probably try emailing a few companies as long as it's not considered a trade secret!
5. If I knew em, I'd put them in. Can you and ship just download your brains for me into excel? Ok, thanks! ;)
6. These are just instruments from the Photometrics Handbook, I've yet to add many many more.

I've created a Google Form for people to fill out if they want me to include specific fixtures. https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/s...mkey=dHhqWXI3cVB4dkJGOWJubElHQlRUdVE6MQ#gid=0

And if you have datasheets for fixtures that can't readily be found on the internet, please email them to me!

Version 0.3 (XLSX)

Version 0.3 (XLS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back