PL headset adapter?

Jay Ashworth

It is that time again, that time perilously too close to the beginning of a new show when I contemplate the fact that our PL headsets all suck.

The headset in this eBay auction appears to meet all the necessary criteria, having dynamic earpieces, a dynamic microphone, and presumably four wires running separately down to the modular plug. And it costs between a quarter and an eighth of what the lightweight Telex does.

So the question is, does anybody already manufacture an adapter that has a 4p4c modular jack on one side, and an A4F wired for Production Intercom on the other side?

Or will I have to build one myself?

As cheap headsets go, that one looks relatively decent. I have one of the pl 88 knockoffs that were being sold on eBay by that guy that I bought 12 years ago and I got eight years out of it in the TV studio

Yea, that one will probably work. Just chop off the end and install an XLR-4. I'm not a huge fan of any cheap headsets - an intercom system is only as strong as the weakest link - as is the nature of a large partyline system. If I am wearing a headset for a very long time I prefer to pay for comfort. My first choice is the Sennheiser HMD-281 single ear headset. The new revision of the Telex PH-88 fully justifies the $194 price point because of how freaking durable it is. You can almost tie a knot in the headband and the microphone and the thing will still work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back