platform lift safety interlock

kicknargel

I'm working on mechanical design for a scissor-based platform lift. (Starts flush with the stage and raises 2-3 feet.) Anyone have suggestions on products / dealers for a perimeter safety interlock switch to protect against crush injury as the platform lowers into its hole? Or even alternate names for that thing to help my googling?

I applaud you for thinking about functional safety! One thing I would add: part of your selection process should account for overtravel of the lift. When the switch is activated it will take some amount of time for the lift to come to a complete stop. For example, if the switch only provides an inch of travel before it's fully compressed and the lift stops in 3 inches, you can still shear toes or other soft, squishy bits. You'll need to figure out the time required to bring the lift (traveling at full speed with full load if going down and no load if going up) to a stop. This will then allow you to calculate the amount of distance stopping the lift will require. The switch/sensing edge/astragal will need this amount of overtravel. As part of out lift commissioning, we use a human analogue (a carrot) to test this. If the carrot doesn't break when striking the safe edge at full speed, you should be good to go. Finally, we've had great success using the tapeswitch PRSU/4 relay for monitoring. It's the most affordable and reliable option we've found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back