Please help learning about LED par options

nopeda

I'm interested in LED par cans and would like to find some that have some features the Martin Mac 101 has, like probably 3 watt LEDs and a tight beam. I believe the 101 is a 13.5 degree beam. Also something that has a real dark blue to it, like the 101 has a very dark congo or blacklight looking blue. Can anyone tell me about the particular LEDs it uses? They are 3W Cree LEDs, but that's all I know. Would all LED fixtures that have 3W Cree LEDs in them have that same nice dark blue, or does Cree make a number of different color 3W blue LEDs? Does anyone know of any LED pars that have a real dark blue like that? Also, any names of cheap LED par manufacturers would be much appreciated. Martin and the bigger names would be too expensive since price is certainly an object, but hopefully we can handle some of the cheaper prices. I know about Chauvet, and Elation, and Etan, and Color Verge, and Trinorth, and that's about all. Is Trinorth just an importer or something, btw?

Thanks for any help with this!
David

They are 3W Cree LEDs, but that's all I know. Would all LED fixtures that have 3W Cree LEDs in them have that same nice dark blue, or does Cree make a number of different color 3W blue LEDs?

They're the Cree XP-E Series emitter: Cree Components XLamp XP-E LEDs
Given that the component options specify white or "color"... I suspect they're probably a Martin custom color order.

lso, any names of cheap LED par manufacturers would be much appreciated. Martin and the bigger names would be too expensive since price is certainly an object, but hopefully we can handle some of the cheaper prices. I know about Chauvet, and Elation, and Etan, and Color Verge, and Trinorth, and that's about all. Is Trinorth just an importer or something, btw?

We use Microh LED Max Zoom Tri's... I love em personally... They don't move like the 101's do, but then, I have Moving head's for that...
MICROH - Professional Products - Lighting - LED Par Cans - LED Max Zoom Tri
Have had a few "issues" with the units as-purchased... A couple of manufacturing flaws that forced us to return a few right off the bat, but since then, they've been rock solid. *knocks on desk*

Hopefully that helps some.

Along with Bill's question, what is your ball park budget? I want 4 for $2000 is a lot different than I want 10 for $2000.

LED's have been really well covered here for years so do some searching you'll find a lot of information already here about Chinese imports and mid level to low end LED products

They're the Cree XP-E Series emitter: Cree Components XLamp XP-E LEDs
Given that the component options specify white or "color"... I suspect they're probably a Martin custom color order.

We use Microh LED Max Zoom Tri's... I love em personally... They don't move like the 101's do, but then, I have Moving head's for that...
MICROH - Professional Products - Lighting - LED Par Cans - LED Max Zoom Tri
Have had a few "issues" with the units as-purchased... A couple of manufacturing flaws that forced us to return a few right off the bat, but since then, they've been rock solid. *knocks on desk*

Hopefully that helps some.
Thank you that was very helpful! From your link to the Cree info I learned that the Royal Blue LED is 450 - 465 nm while the Blue is 465-485. That helps a lot right there. Also learning about the Microh Tri Zoom could be great if we could afford them. What sort of price are they? Do they have a real deep blue, or is it more of a standard type blue? I need to learn the difference in different types of LEDs. In some like the 101 each LED only does one color, but in the Tri and Quad they do three and four colors each, is that how it is? If so, what are the standard(?) types that only do one color called?

Along with Bill's question, what is your ball park budget? I want 4 for $2000 is a lot different than I want 10 for $2000.

LED's have been really well covered here for years so do some searching you'll find a lot of information already here about Chinese imports and mid level to low end LED products
The use is to put them on the moving yokes of old Martin 500s and 600s. Over half of our stuff isn't worth the money it would take to get it going again, but putting the right LED par on a 600 can make it better than it was when it was new imo. In some ways using a tighter beam fixture can be better than a 500 was new too, like you don't have to buy bulbs and it will fade colors. The downside is that it won't do gobos, but at least it will be better than sitting on a shelf in a back room not doing anything at all. As for price range probably between three and five hundred dollars, but of course less than three would be fine too....

I'm using a cheap chinese 3W no name onit type fixture as a prototype and it has big LEDs like the 101 does. It looks good from a distance but from closer up amber is no longer amber but red and green etc... so that type LED probably isn't the way to go. I see some fixtures with Tri LEDs so learning the difference between different types of LEDs is a basic thing I need to do. Can you suggest any threads in this forum that go into basic details like that so I can find out what to look for specifically? And/Or anyplace else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back