Pliant Intercoms

Alfonso

Hello, the theater I work for wants to get a 4 wireless intercoms to go along with our current clear com wired system. I came across the Pliant Micro Com XR system and they do sell an interface to connect it to a standard wired intercom system. the question I had was if anyone found the Pliant systems to be any good, are they reliable?

(In my day all of our intercoms were Bell System wired intercoms, and they always worked and there was 24 hr tech support and repair if anything didn't--never had any problems.) Anyway, if you have a ClearCom system and you want to add to it,I'd recommend sticking with ClearCom gear. That way there are no "it's the other guy's problem" issues.

Out of curiosity... seeing as the price point at list appears to be comparable.... any particular reason as to why you're looking for an alternative to clear-com?

I didn't believe that the pricing was comparable, but after pricing them both out the Pliant is only $2k less expensive than an FS-II system. I really don't know what Pliant is trying to compete with or where they see themselves in the market. The 4-channel beltpacks and the transceivers are more expensive than their FS-II counterparts, but you can run 6 beltpacks off a transceiver and their base station can support 50 packs whereas FS-II can only support 25. I'm not saying there isn't room for competition, but FS-II definitely has a first mover advantage in the market.

That being said, you can save another $5.5k if you go the 2-channel route. FS-II is the gold standard in wireless com right now and if the price is that close I'd be going FS-II all day. That extra $2k gets you a known product with known quality, known technical support, and a large user base that can also field questions. All that and you don't have to trust a FullCompass sales pitch to vouch for it.

Anyway, if you have a ClearCom system and you want to add to it,I'd recommend sticking with ClearCom gear. That way there are no "it's the other guy's problem" issues.

And to negate the above comment - it's not too hard to interface Clearcom equipment, it's a super easy spec to work with and it looks like Pliant took the time to build a thoughtful nulling circuit into their product after reading the manual. Interfacing any intercom is especially easy if you 4-wire everything (I will always push to 4-wire all unrelated systems all day every day). If the Pliant stuff was more inexpensive I'd definitely try to demo it to see if it shines, but at present Clearcom is the known quantity.

Last edited:
I posted a fairly lengthy review of free speak II gear a couple of years ago here with a 6 or 12 month update.

Short version, if you have the money, buy this stuff. It is that good.

I posted a fairly lengthy review of free speak II gear a couple of years ago here with a 6 or 12 month update.

Short version, if you have the money, buy this stuff. It is that good.

and continuing... ClearCom dropped a new product announcement today with a 1RU Edge base station which is VERY attractive. Currently building one into our system for a wireless upgrade. Moving up to 192 ports in our com system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back