Pouring boiling oil on actors

gspalding

Hi.

As much as I would often like to do this for real, I've now been asked to come up with an effect of pouring hot oil on an actor onstage ... and not up left in the corner... but down center.

The actor will scream and all. It is supposed to be hot oil on bare skin.

Also, another wrinkle, the "hot" oil comes from an onstage stove where it has been "heating up" and, of course, smoking.

Any ideas?

Happy New Year!

George

For the smoking-on-the-stove part, could you use an ultrasonic mister/fogger in the pot?

EDIT: Assuming it is just in the middle of stage and the water needs to be contained, could you use a rug with a plastic backing to catch the water? then wet-vac it after the show?

Last edited:
How much oil? Is this the actors demise or does he need to be onstage 30 seconds later? Is he going to be strapped to something to keep the liquid in or is it going to be onstage? Does the oil vessel get taken off the stove and then dumped?

Also, what apparent viscosity is desired? Is the intent to see a slow moving liquid oozing down the actor's body, or would any liquid do? Is there a desired color or degree of opacity? Does it need to be a liquid, or would a five gallon bucket full of some sort of glitter/paper punches do the job?

Water is certainly an option, as is various corn syrup mixes. Any number of smoke/fog/haze tricks can be used where the oil is being 'heated', although I'd stay away from dry ice, just in case there's still a solid chunk in the bucket when it's poured on the actor.

Most of the effect will be via the power of suggestion to the audience, if you call it 'boiling oil', and the actor reacts like it's boiling oil, the audience will believe it's boiling oil, no matter what it actually it, or the real-world temperature.

One aspect of it is I have a feeling that the majority of people watching have no idea what pouring a boiling vat of oil on some one would even look like in real life. so yeah like FatherMurphy it is all a matter of suggesting it is oil.

How close to the stage is the audience?

Thanks for the responses so far.

The actor does not die. But rather is injured/burned for the remainder of the act.

In terms of volume, I'd say a quart or so would be enough.

The oil is heated on the stove in a saucepan. Taken directly from there to be dumped on the actor.

Viscosity should be thicker than water. Syruppy, I would say.

The theater is small. audience as close as 15 feet.

I agree completely that the actor is really going to have to "sell" this.

You folks are great.

GS

Thanks for the responses so far.

The actor does not die. But rather is injured/burned for the remainder of the act.

In terms of volume, I'd say a quart or so would be enough.

The oil is heated on the stove in a saucepan. Taken directly from there to be dumped on the actor.

Viscosity should be thicker than water. Syruppy, I would say.

The theater is small. audience as close as 15 feet.

I agree completely that the actor is really going to have to "sell" this.

You folks are great.

GS
how quickly does the actor need to come back on?

also would the oil not move much like water as when oil is heated it looses viscosity and reacts the same way as water.

those tiny little 3 inch discs that make "fog" from water should work well for this just remember to disconnect the LED's on the thing or cover them as random neon lights coming from a sauce pan on stage is a little distracting... i believe they have battery operated ones... just tape it to the bottom or attach it some how...

if the actor doesn't need to come on right away just dump water on him/her.

and IMHO water should work since it is "boiling"

One thing to remember about the ultrasonic foggers is that the fog will act very much like a dry ice fog, rather than rising from the stove.

how quickly does the actor need to come back on?

also would the oil not move much like water as when oil is heated it looses viscosity and reacts the same way as water.

those tiny little 3 inch discs that make "fog" from water should work well for this just remember to disconnect the LED's on the thing or cover them as random neon lights coming from a sauce pan on stage is a little distracting... i believe they have battery operated ones... just tape it to the bottom or attach it some how...

if the actor doesn't need to come on right away just dump water on him/her.

and IMHO water should work since it is "boiling"

In my (limited) experience with hot oil, although it will flow like water, it looks different than water (it wont make as many bubbly splashes, if that makes sense), and im gonna guess that although most audience members have never experimented with dumping boiling oil on someone, they all know what water looks like being dumped. I would say a very light viscosity syrup of some sort, something the viscosity of mineral oil. No idea what that might be tho... Probably want to stay away from actual oil of any type because it will be a b**** to clean up from anything. Maybe if you thickened the water a bit with something, then dyed it to the color that says "OIL" to you?

You could probably do well with methyl cellulose (food-safe thickener), a bit of food coloring, and optionally a food preservative (depending on how much shelf life you need) dissolved in water. This is the basic formula for Ghostbusters slime, molten metal in Terminator, etc.

For the heating part, a birdie or similar under the pan to simulate the glow of the burner, and a fog machine ducted just behind the pot would probably sell it pretty well.

Some things to consider are, will the actor be in costume at the time? If yes, then, will the costume be washed after every performance? If not, you need something that dries well and won't discolor the costume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you need a light oil like viscosity, similar to mineral oil. Then you might try making a simple syrup (equal parts water and sugar boiled together) and then adding coloring, this is going to make the actor very sticky, and I don't know how long he is offstage, but if you have the makeup crew, or just some of your running crew, ready with some face wipes, like clearsil, it would be a quick fix. Seeing as he is to be injured by this and then come back on, the facewipes shouldn't be a problem, as I assum that his makeup will be removed anyways to apply SFX burn makeup.

Again, How long is he offstage after the scene?

You could probably do well with methyl cellulose (food-safe thickener), a bit of food coloring, and optionally a food preservative (depending on how much shelf life you need) dissolved in water. This is the basic formula for Ghostbusters slime, molten metal in Terminator, etc.

For the heating part, a birdie or similar under the pan to simulate the glow of the burner, and a fog machine ducted just behind the pot would probably sell it pretty well.

Dude you completely read my mind. A thickener would be a perfect way to slightly alter the viscosity. Duct some fog into the upstage side of the stove so that it's rising from just behind the pot. You only need a little bit. This way it's really easy to pick up the pot and toss the "oil" without worrying about something in the bottom of the pot. I didn't think of the birdie... nice touch.

A quart of water is a LOT of water to have all over a person (and the rest of the stage). I would go with just a cup or two if at all possible.

You could probably do well with methyl cellulose (food-safe thickener), a bit of food coloring, and optionally a food preservative (depending on how much shelf life you need) dissolved in water. This is the basic formula for Ghostbusters slime, molten metal in Terminator, etc. ...
The second time I've had the opportunity to recommend J-Lube obstetrical (among other uses :oops:) lubricant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back