Microphones Pouring Water on actor wearing lav.

0HZ

I was recently told that they want to pour water directly on an actor. I told them I'd look into ways of keeping mic on as much as possible. What tips, other that condoms, do you know for this situation?

I'm not sure how well anything will work without muffling or distorting the sound. IN the past when I've had to wet an actor we try to put the body pack and the mic in areas that aren't going to get wet, or atleast well shielded. But again its all case by case basis depending on how wet the are going to get. One question thats real important is how long after they get wet till when the go off stage. Also how many lines till then. Because if you have no other choice than floor or tear drop mics may be needed, you'll notice a drop in clarity and or quality but you can still hear the actor.

Hope this helps.

I would change your focus from how to keep the mic in place to how to keep the mic from being damaged. What I did in my school's musical this year, and worked almost flawlessly to keep the mics on, was to cut a band aid taking just the sticky ends and using one to secure the mic on the cheek, and the other half on the neck to secure the cable. I am not sure how would be best to keep the mic water free, I know it has been done before.

I do agree to see if you can take off the mic like gafflover said, but if no other choice, maybe bring down the level on the mic (if you can't take it off) as the actor gets drenched so your mic doesn't pick up the water noise.

P.S. I just realized you were asking how to keep the mic unmuted, and not how to keep it from falling off

Last edited:
What tips, other that condoms, do you know for this situation?

Just as a side note, condoms work better than latex surgical gloves. For Evil Dead: The Musical we worked with huge amounts of stage blood of various consistencies from water to syrup, and tried just using the fingers of latex gloves. We lost more high end and signal with the gloves than with condoms.

Latex gloves sound like a good idea and frankly I wouldnt have thought of it. It does make sense though that you would have better quality coming from a condom though considering they are generally very thin.

What mic element are you using? Many like the B3 and MKE1 are smaller than water's surface tension, and using the power of physics, are safe from water.

The best way to water proof a transmitter is to tightly wrap it with saran wrap. Cocoon the transmitter like you are building a cup. 100% sealed on the bottom and open on the top. Now with the antenna and mic poking out of the top, flip the transmitter upside down and make sure to leave a "drip loop" on the mic. Don't get cheap and only wrap it a few times. The cost of a huge roll from Costco is nothing compared to the cost of finding a new transmitter when you've soak one.

It seems to be a little unclear, but I was under the impression that the Condom trick related to protecting the transmitter rather than the mic element...

It seems to be a little unclear, but I was under the impression that the Condom trick related to protecting the transmitter rather than the mic element...

Very probably, but we had gallons of fake blood shooting straight into the actor's face and kinda needed to try something...:shock:

We built an actual shower for South Pacific this spring, with a waterproof floor pan.
I put the transmitter in a zip-lock bag with the opening down.
I treated the factory-suppied windscreen with scotch-guard.
It was all ready shortly before opening.
It would have worked fine, but the student actors were nervous.
They didn't use the water.

I was SORELY displeased, but chose not to make an issue of it.

That is the last time I will ever let a student countermand a technical decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back