Power cable organization

Nick Forero

Hello!

I work for the rental office on campus and have been thinking of a way to reorganize (or organize period) our power cables. We have an unnecessarily large stock of power cables that are usually just a big mess.

Here's an outline of our current setup. I'll attach a photo (sorry its such low quality).

We have a large (maybe 10' square) section of pegboard with hooks that we use to hang all of our data and video cable. This is all the lightweight stuff so it isn't a big problem, and assuming everyone coils the cables halfway decent and hangs them properly it isn't really a problem. We use a combination of colored velcro ties and regular tie line to keep that tidy. Then, the cables are vertically sorted into type and general length.

The problem comes with the power cable. We almost entirely make our own cable so they are pretty tough and hold up, which also means they're very bulky and all look similar. We also recently absorbed another branch so we have twice the amount of cable... way too much.

Our current "system" has four horizontal cubbies to store coiled cables. This isn't too bad except for the fact that we don't have enough of them.

In addition to all of the regular power, we have a large stock of quad boxes, stage breakouts and odd multi box chains that take up a lot of space.

So my question is, what is everyones experience with this type of cable storage? Any input would be great!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 1.18.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 1.18.07 AM.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 199
All of our cable is color coded for length. Just a couple wraps of e-tape on each end with some clear shrink wrap over it, one side also has a label that shows who it belongs to. 5' - red, 10' - white, etc. They get store in plywood boxes that are painted the same color. Ours are 22"x44" and have a divider in the middle. So each box holds 2 different lengths of cable. They're also on wheels so they're easy to move around. Things like quad boxes and power strips also have their own box.

We do the same thing - pegboard - for audio and DMX cables.
For the power cables, we use the L-shaped metal shelf brackets you get at home improvement stores. They are pretty cheap, and hold enough weight to support power cables, the number of which depends on the length and AWG.

We do the same thing - pegboard - for audio and DMX cables.
For the power cables, we use the L-shaped metal shelf brackets you get at home improvement stores. They are pretty cheap, and hold enough weight to support power cables, the number of which depends on the length and AWG.
@LPdan When I've used the "L-shaped metal shelf brackets", I've sleeved them with lengths of black ABS pipe approximately 2" in diameter as a way of rounding the sharp-ish edges so they don't cut into the jackets of the cables. Initially, I began by simply slipping the ABS sleeves over the brackets but soon added a bit more finesse by notching one end of the underside of the ABS so that it fully covers the horizontal leg of the bracket tight to the supporting end and extends slightly out beyond the accessible end of the bracket. At the open end of the bracket, I used a 1 -1/2" long round head 8-32 bolt and two hex nuts and internal - external tooth lock washers to secure the ABS to the free end of the bracket. This secured the ABS in position and I kept the head and extra length of the bolt above the ABS to keep cables from slipping off the free end of the sleeved bracket. Worked well for me. I did this in at least three smaller theaters. In a larger space, I built painted wooden storage boxes approximately 30" cubes. Built them with full width 1" x 3" handles on two sides and built them to stack on caster boards which fit within the bottoms of the boxes. Caster board + one cable box + a second cable box and they were easy to roll down corridors and into handy-cap elevators to a second story store room. Eight boxes, each box for specific lengths, four caster boards with really good Darnel casters. They were still in service when I moved on. Our cables were 12/3 SO with 20 Amp Twist Locks. Our lengths were 6', 15', 25', 35', 50' and 100'. Two-fers and Quad-boxes had their own boxes.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

If you have more cable than you need 80% of the time I would suggest putting some into 'cold storage' a bin or box a little out of the way with that extra cable would leave more room to clean up the day to day stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back