power distro question....

nflutter

I run a small stage/sound/lighting setup for bands and small shows etc... I've just updated all my stage power distro so all the main distro is 16amp. I've made a main power rack with 3 phase to 3 x 32amp outlets and a 32amp single phase in to 4 x 16 outlets, every circuit is protected with rcbos and main 3 phase isolator and also on the 32amp in so all well protected. My question is when I turn up to small venues with just a selection of random 13a sockets, I want to use all my tailor made distro but how to get the power in? If I have an isolated ring main which is tripped at 30 amp but only 13 amp sockets is there a configuration I can use to get 30a into my distro? Cheers.

I am presuming you are in the UK?

I doubt you can safely achieve what you want to, the safest option would probably be adapters that have a 13A plug and a 16A socket, fused at 13A of course...
You may need to add RCDs to this arrangement, I am not familiar with what the British Standards have to say about it all...

Yep, in the UK. Just frustrating that I've updated all my cabling and will just end up putting 13 amp adapters on the end of everything, or carry another complete set of 13 amp distro which just defeats the point of my lovely new set of cabling. I've made my amp racks with 16 in, 16 to 13 floor blocks for bands equipment etc, and even made all 16 to IEC for all my heads etc..... just wanted the same setup cabling setup for any venue, frustrating that a ring main with nothing else on it will give me 30 amps but just can't seem to safely get it into my power rack!!

It's important to remember that ring mains are virtually unheard of outside the UK...
But to extract more than 13A means one of 2 things, either pulling more than 13A through a plug and risking it melting, or attempting to parallel them and so making something that has a very real potential for a live male mains connector.

The safe way is to stick 2 13A plugs into the socket and run 2 independent circuits from them...
... or get a sparkie's licence and install a compliant connector at each gig...

Yeah, both options crossed my mind but you're right, plug would melt and it would be possible to get a live male connector so def no go there. One thought is a 3 phase connector with two 13 amp tails connected to 2 different phase connections, that way I think I'm right in saying the circuits would be separate and not possible to get a live male. Then I could add another 32 to 4 x 16s on my rack and feed each of the single phase panels separately, with rcbos on every circuit..... any thoughts? Only other way I can see is to put 13a adapters on each of my 16a lines to the stage and just connect straight to ring main but I do lose all my circuit protection for each line, if it trips I would lose everything, also I have amp meters on my rack so I can monitor usage.

You still have a common neutral, that under certain circumstances, can be above Earth potential...

Yeah I see, how about I add another single phase panel to my rack as I said earlier and just run 1 13a into each panel so they would be completely separate? I'd have 2 fully protected distro panels to feed my stage and rigging and get the maximum out of the ring main, just have to watch my loading on each panel which should be easy enough, meter on each panel..... sounds like a plan?

Does having multiple receptacles available guarantee that you have multiple phases or even multiple circuits or could you have multiple circuits that are all on the same phase or even multiple receptacles all on one circuit?

Yeah, but we're talking about pommy power here, it's not always "normal"...
The general wiring of GPOs is as 13A sockets on 32A ring mains, all at 240V of course.
That puts 8kW of available power on a circuit, if you can safely get it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back