Power Distro with E-Stop

SanTai

For some time now I have been missing a product, a power distro with an e-stop. It could be very useful for some setups to not need to draw the power past a "normal" e-stop.(attached an image of what I call a normal e-stop in this case)

Does anybody know of power distro with an e-stop? I have not found any.

Attachments

• e-stop.jpg
    e-stop.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 193
For some time now I have been missing a product, a power distro with an e-stop. It could be very useful for some setups to not need to draw the power past a "normal" e-stop.(attached an image of what I call a normal e-stop in this case)

Does anybody know of power distro with an e-stop? I have not found any.

Could be a dumb question, but is that not what the big breaker on the distro is for? :). Granted, I could see needed an estop/breaker of some sort for the whole distro on the ones that have multiple outs with their own breakers. That or maybe some way of making it obvious to people that in an emergency throw the breaker to cut power.

You should never throw a mains breaker under load... ever. Power down the branch circuits then throw the main.

Many automation cabinets have this. Anything involving motion control has this. What is your intended use? With that, everyone manufacture I know of makes distros to order, so you can have whatever you want installed. If you want a big red button on it, they would put one in for ya...

You should never throw a mains breaker under load... ever. Power down the branch circuits then throw the main.

Many automation cabinets have this. Anything involving motion control has this. What is your intended use? With that, everyone manufacture I know of makes distros to order, so you can have whatever you want installed. If you want a big red button on it, they would put one in for ya...
I meant the main breaker in an emergency (aka someone getting electrocuted). Obviously you would never throw a main breaker under load in normal use. Isn't the purpose of the e-stop for someone gonna die emergencies? Or is the OP wanting one as a convenient way to shut off power? Though I would think you also would have the same issue doing it under load.

The main breaker IS rated to BREAK the nameplate load. Granted it's not designed to regularly switch them, but in an emergency situation, I'd absolutely be reaching for the main switch first.

Back to the original question though, contactors are your friends here.
Most E stop buttons aren't going to have a high enough current rating to carry the whole load, let alone interrupt it under fault conditions...
So wire an E Stop into the coil circuit of a contactor, and you should be sweet.
But don't skimp on the contactor - I've had contactors that developed odd failure modes, like flickering lights because the power was dropping in and out. Not what you want for mission critical usage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back