Power for rig2

I'm back to the 4 ACl in series.

Is this an actual way of configuring these lamps? If one burns out you lose the whole strip. Why would you want these in series? Why not use the 120 volt lamps and parallel?

Not trying to hijack, really want to see the revealed answer.

I'm back to the 4 ACl in series.

Is this an actual way of configuring these lamps? If one burns out you lose the whole strip. Why would you want these in series? Why not use the 120 volt lamps and parallel?

Not trying to hijack, really want to see the revealed answer.

Due to the fact that the ACL (Air Craft Landing) comes from use on a vehicle, it is a low voltage (28V) lamp. We wire them in series with four lamps so that we can run them on 120V power. There is no 120V equivalent. Also, the lower voltage generally makes a more efficient lamp.

Didn't realize there was no equal to the ACL until I looked at the candle power.
ACL 250Watt @ 28 volt with 500,000cp
DWE 650watt @ 120 volt with 24,000cp

Thats'a one spicy lamp'a

...ACL strips 8 lamp. 650 watt x 8 = 5200 watt @ 120 = 44 amps x 6 units = 264 amps / 3 phases = 88 amps per phase or 10,400 watts per phase. 31,200 watts total ...
This should read 8-Lights.

650W PAR36 DWEs don't compare to ACLs at all. The closest comparable 120V lamp would be the FFN, PAR64 1000W VNSP, at 400,000 MBCP, and beam angle of 6°x12°.

However lighting loads are not like normal loads because of high inrush currents and very high neutral currents which generators hate and new versus old lamps have different characteristics, so calculations to 3 decimal points are not really valid.So I would round up the results by 5%ish and generator up by 30%ish

Re: More Phase Questions

Okay, refering to the second one here. I know how to figure out how many amps you need on each leg. But will the disconenct say how many amps it puts out so you know if the disconnect will handle it? Or what?

Second, how do you figure out these:
2. For feeder, do I need two grounded conductors?
3. For feeder, what is the minimum AWG of the grounding conductor?
4. This is for an outdoor festival. If I have to rent a generator, what size kVA do I need?
and
7) How many sets of 4/0 90°C Feeder with E1016 Cam-Lok connectors?

Last edited:
Good Morning all

Do a search for " LD Calculator lite "
It's a bit old but it has all kinds of power, conversion, dmx..... app's anyone will go WOW over.
The power app will do single phase or 3 phase load calculations & load balancing for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back