Power Supply Advice for ETC Express 24/48

BuddyC

Hello everybody. I recently purchased an ETC Express board with a Littlite already attached for a fantastic price. The issue is, it was missing the power supply. I shouldn't be so cheap by not wanting to pay $150 for the replacement since I got it so cheap, but I guess cheap is who I am at my core. The specs on the board say it needs a 5v 2.5a/12v 1a brick and it's a standard size, 5-pin DIN plug. I need help being directed to a much cheaper source for a power supply that would work fine for this board. Does anyone have a direct link to a ps that is good for this model ETC even if it is not those exact ratings? Thanks.

if you know electronics you can build your own , or you could save half of the effort and get a 12V @ 3A PS and drop it down to 5V with a Regulator and a proper heat think ...

You can get a power supply with those voltages and current ratings at mpja.com. You can also get all of the cases and ac power connections at the same site. Getting a supply with higher current ratings won't hurt as the board will pull the current it needs. Just don't go smaller on the current ratings. The same site has DIN connectors. The wiring of the DIN connector is available on line do a search for ETC Express DIN power connections. Sometimes on that site you will also computer style power supplies where all you have to do is put on the DIN connector. If you don't solder, find some school kid who is a geek about electronics, who can do it for you.
The down side is that there were two series of Express boards when it comes to the power supply connections. The older ones used what some refer to as a mini-DIN. very similar to an S-Video connector only with more pins. These connectors are quite a bit more difficult to find, but they are available on line, with a bit more search. They are also going to require slightly better solder skills. The later boards use the more traditional and what is known as the original DIN connector.
I have built more than a few for theaters near by. As far as I can tell, the 12 volt portion is only used to supply the xlr minilite connector, but there might be a comment forth coming correcting that. When wiring the cheaper DIN connectors, they might not have numbers indicating the pins, so be careful that when wiring the connector from an picture that you know if the picture is from the pin side or the solder side. Damage may occur if you get it backwards. Good luck and let us know how you did.

And be sure to hit those amperage perfectly or go high. This console really does not use much power until it spins up the disk drive.... and that is not the time you want the console to crash.

I just did a search on mpja.com, and they have a computer type supply with the voltage and current you want, except that it has a 4 pin miniDIN connector. You can cut that connector off and put on a standard DIN. The supply requires a standard IEC power cable. The supply is 15955PS $6.95. The are a lot of IEC cables available at that site, but one is 31447CB $2.95 if you don't want to do a search. This site is currently out of standard DIN 25607PL $0.42, but have a phone number listed to find out when they will have them in stock. Just for those who may be lurking, this site also has in stock Mini-Din connectors in 4, 6 and 8 pins.

I just did a search on mpja.com, and they have a computer type supply with the voltage and current you want, except that it has a 4 pin miniDIN connector. You can cut that connector off and put on a standard DIN. The supply requires a standard IEC power cable. The supply is 15955PS $6.95. The are a lot of IEC cables available at that site, but one is 31447CB $2.95 if you don't want to do a search. This site is currently out of standard DIN 25607PL $0.42, but have a phone number listed to find out when they will have them in stock. Just for those who may be lurking, this site also has in stock Mini-Din connectors in 4, 6 and 8 pins.

That power supply is rated at 2.2A and the boards says it needs a 2.5A. Footer said that I need to hit the ratings perfectly or higher but would that difference be a problem? Also, I have no solder skills so yes, I would have to get someone to help. It's a shame but like most smaller/mid sized towns the couple of electronics repair shops around here closed their doors several years ago. Is it perfectly fine and easy to take a power supply with 4 pins and convert it with a 5 pin plug?

Dramatech, absolutely no pressure here to do it, but is it possible for you to build me a power supply for this board and I pay you for your time and parts + shipping? How much would it be? Please feel free to decline if it's not something you feel comfortable doing for someone over the net, I completely understand.

Dramatech, absolutely no pressure here to do it, but is it possible for you to build me a power supply for this board and I pay you for your time and parts + shipping? How much would it be? Please feel free to decline if it's not something you feel comfortable doing for someone over the net, I completely understand.
You can contact me at [email protected] and we can discuss it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back