The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Powering up a studio spot 575

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by lcthebeast, Dec 28, 2007.

1. lcthebeast

lcthebeast Member

can these be powered up through an etc sensor rack if they're getting power from 2 separate phases?

2. soundlight

soundlight Well-Known Member

You really should install a constant power or relay module in there, don't run them through dimmers. ML's hate being run through an SCR, even passing full power.

lcthebeast likes this.
  3. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

DO NOT RUN THESE OFF A DIMMER IN NON-DIM MODE.

Use a relay module or breaker module in the rack, or some other direct AC power source.

They also run about 7 amps on 120v single phase.

Steve B.

lcthebeast likes this.
  4. Thomas

Thomas Member

dimmers dim. Moving lights don't like that. Besides why waste a good dimming channel? Just find a 15A plug somewhere and run a cable if you don't have a distro nearby!

lcthebeast likes this.
  5. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

Seconded!

If you really want to run them off the rack make sure you put them on a relay card. Don't run them through the SCR, even parked on at the CEM. You'd probably get away with it, but the risk isn't worth the reward.

Wait, reading your post again, are these movers at 208v? Your talking about powering them from 2 separate phases. This is impossible to do with the sensor rack. Switch your movers to 120 and find a wall outlet to plug them into!

lcthebeast likes this.
  6. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

Studio spots will run either 120 or 208 with out having to open up the fixture. The only modification is to the plug.

lcthebeast likes this.
  7. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

You sure about that? I know the newer ones come with an auto-sensing power supply, but I think the older ones are switched. I know thats the case with the Studio Colors (never worked with a studio spot).

To the OP, check the manual, if their 208, switch them to 120 and plug them into the wall, save your dimmers, don't deal with the hassle.

Oh, and happy almost New Year to all!

8. lcthebeast

lcthebeast Member

thank you very much for your help. the venue i'm working out of doesn't have any easy access for power so i'm borrowing/renting dimmer racks and trying to save money since we have to rent a trailer generator.

After reading what you just said, would a 50amp spider box be sufficient in the lower voltage setting for 6 studio spots(i read their specs as 208v only, and missed the auto switching power). I just want to run everything through socapex, including my conventionals and fix where they're going at the break-ins.

9. soundman

soundman Well-Known Member

Yes 6*7= 42 so your good

lcthebeast likes this.
  10. lcthebeast

lcthebeast Member

thank you to all who helped, i am much happier with the seperate distro way.