Control/Dimming Preset Palette II OS

tdewey7

So... Our school has recently received a Preset Palette II, but the realtek audio driver, which happens to be in the C://, which is restricted of course, got set to a weird preset which produces a lot of reverb and makes it impossible to run sound from it because of how washed out it is. So if anyone has had experience with the XP Embeded OS or the realtek audio driver your input would be greatly appreciated. In case it isn't clear what i need to know is how to gain access to the C:// drive or how to completely reset our system back to how it was the day we bought it (i.e. a system restore). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much =]

Last edited:
So... Our school has recently received a Preset Palette II, but the realtek audio driver, which happens to be in the C://, which is restricted of course, got set to a weird preset which produces a lot of reverb and makes it impossible to run sound from it because of how washed out it is. So if anyone has had experience with the XP Embeded OS or the realtek audio driver your input would be greatly appreciated. In case it isn't clear what i need to know is how to gain access to the C:// drive or how to completely reset our system back to how it was the day we bought it (i.e. asystem restore). Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much =]

Question: What sound are you running from your lighting console, and why?

An additional question/thought. Does the Palette actually have a sound output device? I don't have one and would never have thought to ask at the last demo I saw. Which I suppose raises the question, does it have more than a simple buzzer type device to beep at you that you are trying to run sound through thus not making good sound for whatever your application is (that you probably shouldn't be doing anyway, it is a lighting console after all). Additionally, how are you playing sounds on your console, you shouldn't be able to install any unauthorized software, and I can't imagine there is any authorized sound software.

If you haven't already, go to the strand web site and down load the current console software which I beleive is 10.6.2. Then follow the directions for installing the software. This should get you back to the beginning. The console does have access to installed windows media player but with out a audio output or input on the console there is no need to use it. You can purchase a usb audio output but the quality is not very good.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do but whatever it is STOP. It's a light board. Don't connect it to the internet. Don't use it to play music in the booth. Don't do anything but run light cues. Don't attempt to hack the embedded software. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Load the latest software and use it to run lights only.

Alright so thank you all for your concern but to those who say not to run sound from it: IT IS A COMPUTER!!!! It runs Windows XP Embeded It is meant to run sound from its built in WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER. It is used to sync cue lists to SMPTE sound codes(use sound to cue lights) or you can run a sound file from a light cue. So IT IS MEANT TO RUN SOUND!!! We use it to output to our sound board for preshow/background music. There are mic inputs and speaker outputs in the back so please unless you know the Preset Palette II don't criticize me or accuse me of anything. Thank you.

Second: I AM NOT TRYING TO HACK THE SYSTEM!!! A mistake occurred and the C drive temporarily became accessible and the audio driver was set to a filter causing reverb. Unless you have something helpful to say about this then don't!

Thirdly: For those of you who think that upgrading the software will do it... It won't. It is a good idea but the audio driver is in the windows files not the software files.

Thank You to everyone with helpful intentions =]

Second: I AM NOT TRYING TO HACK THE SYSTEM!!! A mistake occurred and the C drive temporarily became accessible and the audio driver was set to a filter causing reverb. Unless you have something helpful to say about this then don't!

To restore the OS to factory spec you will need to contact your dealer and request that a technician come out with a reimage key. This may be impossible, as this is usually done at the factory, or at the service center... You may actually need to send the console out to fix this.

First off, be nice. This board is read by industry executives, people who work for many of the major manufacturers, and professional technicians from all around the world. We do not tolerate rude posts. You've received good advice from several very experienced professionals above, you might want to listen to it. If we have misinterpreted the situation then tell us what happened. There's no need to be snarky.

Taking off my Senior Team hat...

I've had a 5 hour personal training session on my Preset Palette with one of the Horizon software writers. I've now been using it for almost two years. So I think that qualifies me as "knowing something about it". I've never had a problem with it, but there's no way I would trust it to run sound. Yes it's a computer with XP embedded and audio capabilities... and that's exactly why I would never trust it to do anything other than run lights. I have another computer I use for sound.

I AM NOT TRYING TO HACK THE SYSTEM!!! A mistake occurred and the C drive temporarily became accessible and the audio driver was set to a filter causing reverb.
I have a hard time believing that the C drive "accidentally" became fully accessible. Hopefully the console is under warranty and whatever "accident" happened didn't invalidate that warranty. If you are still under warranty they will either send out someone with the unlock key for the software or more likely simply send you a new CPU box and swap it out on site. No need to send your console back to the factory, it's quite simple to just pop the top and swap the guts out.

You need help from the factory. Either go to Strand-Dev, Contact Strand Directly, or wait for a post from/send a pm to rschwimmer here.

One last thought. Are you sure that the reverb isn't coming from further down the line in the sound system itself? In my experience it's often a very simple thing that causes the problem. So before I blame the most expensive link in the chain, I like to cover all my basis with the other possibilities.

Okay I'm sorry if i came across as being "snarky" but i was merely trying to inform everyone about my situation. I may have gotten a little aggravated by all the things i was being accused doing and for that I am sorry.

Now i would love to have a separate computer to run sound, but fact of the matter is that very simply, We don't, and we won't anytime soon. So we are trying to make the best of what we have and use it to its full capabilities. As for you not believing an error could occur to cause a glitch unlocking the system, I understand it doesn't seem possible, but it happened I promise I didn't crack the administrator's password to screw up my system. Plus if I could get into it again I could fix it, so it's not that.

So... I have talked with Bobby Hill(Strand Representative) and he talked with the people who developed the code for the whole system and the accessibility expert and none of them have figured out how it happened, but they agreed I have to re-image the system. So we have to ship/drive the computer in it down to NYC. Ugh. It's about a 4 hour drive at the least. Hopefully we'll get it down there soon though.

I would like to thank everyone who tried to help solve my problem. Your input was greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back