Presonus StudioLive 32.4.2

JLNorthGA

Read a lot about the Behringer X32 here. Our sound guy has been lusting after the Presonus StudioLive 32.4.2 board. We'd have to get a grant - no matter which one.

Like the idea of a larger board without having to switch back and forth. Thoughts? I know there is about $1k difference in price.

John, after reading the thread it made me realize several things - first - we have a reasonably polite forum here with a great bunch of people and good moderators - second - we really don't need the Presonus 32.4.
We had a concert yesterday evening and had plenty of time between the preliminary sound set-up and the sound check. We looked at the specs for the X32 and for the Presonus boards. Our events are fairly routine. While we need to change things - we really don't need a lot of capacity. As an example for yesterdays concert, we had four vocal inputs and four instrumental inputs. So we sat and talked about present and future needs.
We realized that 24 channels would do us quite nicely. We then looked at the Presonus SL 24.4. It looks like this is the better board for us. We could use the 24 channels for our feed from our two 12 channel snakes. We could use the aux inputs for our old Mackie 14.2 board (feed from the back of the house boundary microphones, computer and sound playback).

I certainly agree with you on how civilized a place this is!!! Another digital mixer you should consider is the Soundcraft Expression series. It has the advantage of being more like an analog board with some cool features, like fader glow so you can tell with a quick glance what you are doing. One nice thing about the Presonus is that they have a version of Smaart built in. I would think that the major reason for you getting a digital console is all the outboard gear that is built in. Gates, compressors, EQ and effects are all things you really need and outboard gear quickly adds up in both cost and needed space.

It's like anything else, what functionality, capabilities, operation, etc. is most important to you and which product best fits your needs?

As a general comment, the StudioLive may be a great choice where you want scenes but don't have to deal with numerous and/or quick scene recall. The StudioLive's scene recall may be fine for between events or between bands but less than ideal for many theatrical applications.

Similar with factors such as subgroups, mute groups, DCAs and so on, think about how having or not having certain functionalities could help or hurt in your applications. Would dealing with layers be a potential advantage, disadvantage or not a factor? What recording and playback capability might be desired or beneficial?

My personal view is that when comparing the StudioLive to the X32 it is often greatly a comparison of an 'analog like' console to more digital console like approach. Of direct operation (no layers, fixed auxes and subgroups, direct channel assignments, etc.) compared to flexibility (I/O patching, assignable channels, electronic scribble strips, flexible buses assigments and so on). Only you can decide which would work better for you, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' choice, only the one you feel is most appropriate for your needs and how you operate.

There is a new series of StudioLive AI series consoles coming out, not just the 32 channel model but also 24 and 16 channel versions. Apparently much more an evolution than a major change, I don't know when those products will be released or how they might affect the availability and pricing of the current models.

FWIW, the version of Smaart integrated into the StudioLive is a very downscaled version. It is certainly a potential benefit but do not confuse it with the full Smaart software or what it can do.

Personally, for your venue I would push you towards anything digital simply due to the fact your locked in a booth. Any of the pieces of gear that allow you to mix on a tablet would be a real winner in my book. At least with that you could walk the room during sound check and dial in the mix a bit and actually be able to talk to the artist's onstage about their monitor mixes. It would not replace having an open air mix position, but it would at least be a start.

I would still go with the X32 I think. Plenty of channels to allow for growth (or use 16 for house and 16 for monitors, so you can have separate EQ and dynamics on the monitors). Most of the features you'll ever want or need. No expensive MacBook required for remote operation.

Or maybe the little 16 ch A&H.

Personally, for your venue I would push you towards anything digital simply due to the fact your locked in a booth. Any of the pieces of gear that allow you to mix on a tablet would be a real winner in my book. At least with that you could walk the room during sound check and dial in the mix a bit and actually be able to talk to the artist's onstage about their monitor mixes. It would not replace having an open air mix position, but it would at least be a start.
But watch for the details in how the wireless capability is implemented and the control allowed by the related apps. Using the StudioLive as an example, the current StudioLives require an attched computer running Virtual StudioLive in order to have wireless control, you're communicating via wireless with the computer and that then communicates with the mixer, however the new AI versions coming out do not require an attached computer and devices running StudioLive Remote can communicate with the mixer via a wireless router. However, that control has some limitations:
  • As they are manual operation, you do not have remote control of the preamps with Virtual StudioLive or StudioLive Remote.
  • Similar, because the faders and some other controls are not motorized, wireless changes to those are not updated on the console. To reflect any changes such as channel faders and aux send levels made via StudioLive Remote or Virtual StudioLive you need to put the console in 'Locate' mode and adjust the console controls to match the current settings indicated. If you do not then the next time you go to adjust one of those controls on the console the levels will immediately go to wherever the control is on the console, which may not be where you had set it remotely.
  • Unlike Virtual StudioLive running on a PC or Mac, StudioLive remote does not seem to support copy and paste, making it often more appropriate for tweaking channels or mixes rather than setting them up.
  • With StudioLive Remote you can now select and recall saved scenes, but not save or reorganize scenes.
The general point is that sometimes the wireless remote software virtually replicates the console while in other cases it may be more appropriate for tweaking than for setup or serious mixing. A little research, playing with demo software, etc. is often well worth it if just to obtain a better understanding of how the remote software functions and what is or is not possible or practical with it.

But watch for the details in how the wireless capability is implemented and the control allowed by the related apps. Using the StudioLive as an example, the current StudioLives require an attched computer running Virtual StudioLive in order to have wireless control, you're communicating via wireless with the computer and that then communicates with the mixer, however the new AI versions coming out do not require an attached computer and devices running StudioLive Remote can communicate with the mixer via a wireless router. However, that control has some limitations:
  • As they are manual operation, you do not have remote control of the preamps with Virtual StudioLive or StudioLive Remote.
  • Similar, because the faders and some other controls are not motorized, wireless changes to those are not updated on the console. To reflect any changes such as channel faders and aux send levels made via StudioLive Remote or Virtual StudioLive you need to put the console in 'Locate' mode and adjust the console controls to match the current settings indicated. If you do not then the next time you go to adjust one of those controls on the console the levels will immediately go to wherever the control is on the console, which may not be where you had set it remotely.
  • Unlike Virtual StudioLive running on a PC or Mac, StudioLive remote does not seem to support copy and paste, making it often more appropriate for tweaking channels or mixes rather than setting them up.
  • With StudioLive Remote you can now select and recall saved scenes, but not save or reorganize scenes.
The general point is that sometimes the wireless remote software virtually replicates the console while in other cases it may be more appropriate for tweaking than for setup or serious mixing. A little research, playing with demo software, etc. is often well worth it if just to obtain a better understanding of how the remote software functions and what is or is not possible or practical with it.

It is stuff like that that really makes me wonder what the hell Presonus was even thinking. That remote functionality is basically them wanting to check a tick box. In practice though that is totally useless.

Read a lot about the Behringer X32 here. Our sound guy has been lusting after the Presonus StudioLive 32.4.2 board. We'd have to get a grant - no matter which one.

Like the idea of a larger board without having to switch back and forth. Thoughts? I know there is about $1k difference in price.

I'm a little late to the conversation but if the budget can afford it, I would recommend the Roland m-200i. Having used the Presonus StudioLive a lot, I can honestly say that the Roland is a significantly better unit in sound, ease of use and iPad app. Add in a digital snake it you are ready for the future.

I did a lot of comparative shopping as well as hands on testing before I bought my new board and for my needs at least, the Roland ran away with the competition. Here is the link:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M200i

It is stuff like that that really makes me wonder what the hell Presonus was even thinking. That remote functionality is basically them wanting to check a tick box. In practice though that is totally useless.
Presonus has too many competitors who have products at more reasonable prices... I really like the features of the X32, but just could not do it... I ended up getting the Soundcraft Si Expression 3 (my first digital board) and I am having a blast learning about its capabilities.

I'd put the Presonus under the X32, A&H, and Soundcraft. The Presonus might be the easiest for less technically inclined mixpersons. Plenty of them on the used market too, since the X32 came out.

The little Mackie iPad mixer looks nice, but it does not have remote/recall-able headamps, and Mackie's support..... I dunno. Behringer has one coming out, but I believe they said not until 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back